Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1994.5 powerstroke 5 speed dually with 317k miles. when the truck is cold like when i just move it around the yard in the morning when i drive the truck it is pretty choppy..like it shakes the whole truck and when i get on the road its like a big block with a big cam in it... but once the truck gets warmed up it sounds fine..zero smoke at all at anytime thats why i was wondering..oh and i just put on a brand new air filter from donaldson and that helped a little on take off..

·
Registered
496 Posts
first thing to check is the glow plug relay and glow plugs. even though its not really cold yet they are probably still suppose to be coming on in the morning.

im not a diesel expert, but this early in the season, and with your mileage that seems like consistant symtoms. im having a similar issue also.. when i start up in the morning it drives real rough for the first few min, then clears up. im assuming i have an injector sticking.. funny how i just had a new one installed, and never before had this problem. it def feels like is has a miss in it for a few minutes. im hoping to be able to change mine out next year anyway, recent repairs have pretty much blown my budget. good luck.

·
Registered
62 Posts
plug in the block heater for 2 hrs and then start it....if it runs properly you probably need sticks...I know....I plugged my truck in for 4 years before finally biting the bullet and getting them rebuilt....Jim at Rosewood Diesel is great to deal with...hth

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
^Sounds fishy to me.

Ohm out the glow plugs. Ohm out the GPR. Clean the FPR screan. I bet this helps you out tremendously.

·
Registered
496 Posts
plug in the block heater for 2 hrs and then start it....if it runs properly you probably need sticks...I know....I plugged my truck in for 4 years before finally biting the bullet and getting them rebuilt....Jim at Rosewood Diesel is great to deal with...hth
altough this may help eliminate a coupole things - im not so sure this will point to injectors - BECAUSE- if his glow plug relay is not good, OR his glow plugs are shot - plugging the heater in will also remedy that problem too..

id still try it out - cause its simple and will at least help point you in some general direction.. MAYBE youll get lucky and it could be the GPR, but like i said earlier its not really cold out yet so im not real confident on that.. when you turn your key "ON" you should easily hear the relay "click" with the hood open. a non functioning relay would keep all 8 glow plugs from working. even with half the plow plugs out the truck should still start and run pretty decent.

cleaning the FPR screen should help with throttle response, but it shouldnt create a bad idle that "disappears" after the engine is warm.. the screen is either clogged or it isnt, and even with massive restriction it wouldnt make the truck seem like it has a miss when you start to drive.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok thanks for the info..ill try everything i can this weekend, i also read that if your injectors are going bad that you mpg will suffer ..well im still getting 18mpg in my 5 speed dually so i dont think it is suffering..

·
Registered
496 Posts
ok thanks for the info..ill try everything i can this weekend, i also read that if your injectors are going bad that you mpg will suffer ..well im still getting 18mpg in my 5 speed dually so i dont think it is suffering..
not saying this for sure - BUT IF, the injectors are your issue, they may be "going" bad - and not shot.. injectors can be milked for a while if need be, just by letting the truck warm up or leaving it plugged in..

as stupid as this my sound, and im NOT getting into another debate with anyone over this cause some people have had luck after doing this. you got nothin to lose so why not try it. watch all 4 videos.

just fyi - you dont need to build his little extractor system.. you can just get a cheap hand pump, and find something that fits inside the hole.. i use a peice of plastic pipe for a toilet supply line.. fits in the hole perfect, and cut it about 6" taller than the reservior. the plastic hose on the pump fits right over that pipe also.. just get a little inventive.. you can also buy an oil extractor for lawn mowers in lowes for like $29 i think

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Clean the fpr screen!! Thats gonna really mess with your truck, and it takes 5mins.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts