Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the family is growing and Im looking to upgrade to a crew cab, and love the 05 to 07 body style and want the diesel,for power and milage. But all the badmouthing the 6.0s get, gets me scared to puchase one. I just want a reliable tow vehicle to pull the family camper that is 10,000lbs. Would a coolant filter and changing the coolant be enough if left at stock power. I really dont want to have to put head studs and all that into a truck. Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
Read the first link in my sig, the buying a 6.0 sticky at the top of this forum, etc. Lots of good info on the 6.0.

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
You COULD always get a 7.3 and just swap out parts and put a 05-07 front end on it :hehe:

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Its a gamble really. If you want the peace of mind of reliability for towing, your gonna have to do some reliability mods. The EGR needs to be deleted or blocked off. The stock head bolts should be ok with the EGR delt with as long as they arent already shot and you arent gonna add too much power. And yes, get the ford gold coolant out and elc in with a coolant filter. Some people never have any problems and some people have nothing but problems. Like I said, its a toss up....If your not wanting to dump a bunch of money into it to make it reliable, I would suggest sticking with the 7.3 and just look for one thats a crew cab with low miles. Don't get me wrong, I love my 6.0 and wouldnt trade it for anything, but it hasnt exactly been an easy road getting her reliable. I was able to pick it up cheap enough to put the money into it and still be worth it. I am confident its reliable now, but look at my sig. The market is flooded with 6.0's that people want to dump, and you can pick one up for a steal and put the money into one and make one hell of a towing truck. But your gonna have to do the mods. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
968 Posts
There are a lot of 6.0 's on here with over 200K on them and a few with over 300K on the clock. Any mechanical device has shortcomings. You can do about $1500 in reliability mods and basic maintenance and a 6.0 will serve you well for a long time.

Do not buy one if you don’t like working on and learning about your truck. A 6.0 requires a different way of thinking about your vehicle and it’s care and feeding.
You will need to read and learn how to care for it and it will reward you with years of service. Other wise buy a Honda Civic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts