Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as the question above puts it....

Is the last year of the 6.0L the best year to purchase?

thanks
P

·
Registered
4,566 Posts
The simple answer is, yes. However, you still need to monitor your trucks health with one of the available monitoring systems and perform the regularly scheduled maintenance.

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
slightly but in the end I believe they all equal out

·
Compression Ignition Addict
7,354 Posts
With 07's you still need to:
1. Install and monitor aftermarket gauges (the OBDII monitoring systems are best IMO)
2. Maintain your coolant health (and install a filter). Even the Ford Gold can be OK, but most people are upgrading to ELC coolant (diesel rated). Even with coolant maintenance, some oil coolers plug (primarily with sand IMO) and must be replaced.
3. Be prepared to address high pressure oil leaks with upgraded parts (STC, dummy plugs, and standpipes)
4. Be prepared to install a BulletProofDiesel EGR cooler (doing it roactively makes sense IMO) .... or properly delete the EGR system.
5. Maintain battery and charging system health, but be prepared to send your FICM out for repair when it starts getting weak
6. Install a fuel pressure sensor and gauge, and be prepared to install a Ford upgraged fuel pressure regulator spring.
7. Fluid and filter maintenance is just as important as any other model year.

All-in-all, there are desierable changes in the 06 and 07 model year and the mods to make it reliable are a little cheaper than the other years IMO. Head studs are optional (but desireable for the best reliability and will enable some nice tuning) if the engine was well cared for (hard to verify this though).

·
Registered
953 Posts
I have an 07 that I brought brand new. I've had two issues. a faulty FICM and oil cooler that both were replaced under warranty. I'm still on the original head stud, gaskets, injectors, egr cooler. And I've towed some good size loads over the past 5 years. I also had a tuner since 5k miles. I now have 82k. I do however flush coolant every 25k miles and run nothing but synthetics bumper to bumper.

It's been a terrific truck:D

·
Registered
435 Posts
i got a 06 91000 miles great truck very smooth n the power just had oil cooler changed now im going to delet the egr m 3 months not cause it is bad its just what everone says to do and its cheap to do , and no if someone tells me to jump off a bridge i would not lol

·
Registered
624 Posts
It's funny...I don't see many '07s out there?? My '06 has been good so far, but I've done a lot of the preventative stuff already. (see sig)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts