Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because I apparently need to throw money at things to ease my boredom, I was lookin for **** I don't need.

An on board air compressor has always interested me, since I routinely drive in the backwoods far from cell coverage and the ability to refill a last resort plugged tire sounds nice. Not that I've ever had more than one flat at one time ever... well except for that time some dudes let the air outta both my back tires, another story for another time.

A PTO option would be pretty baller, but that's a whole other rabbit hole to Albuquerque. (PTO winch anybody?!)

So now I've found myself reading about air lockers. Which I didn't know I needed until now! Ok I don't need them. But a search around the forum didn't show anyone discussing them so I'd like to hear some thoughts.

I put the link to the 10.5 because I figure I'd want the air lockers on rears since that's usually where the traction issue is, and correct me if I'm wrong the rear is an open diff since I do not have the 4.10 upgrade.

·
Premium Member
8,297 Posts
My thoughts on Lockers...

First, the whole ARB Air thing is kinda "ole school". I don't like it much as you're depending on a second system to support it (those of us with Air Horns can attest to having to maintain the Air System ~ it sucks!) And really air offers No Advantages, only the Disadvantage of needing air and a torn line, general leaks, or an equipment problem like pressure sw or the compressor itself crapping-out just when you need it.

Today, there are good Electric Lockers (you're probably always going to have 12v) and some really good "self" lockers that are better choices.

Also, there's really nothing wrong with your stock posi if it's working and not all that hard to rebuild. Now if it's off road traction you're after, get the rear working like it's supposed to and,,, for an exponential improvement, add a Front locker! The improvement will be Far Greater than locking the Rear Alone....

My choice was to leave my Sterling to do it's thing (still works as it should) and add an Eaton Electric to the front. I suppose if I felt the need for, what little improvement there might be, I would something like a TruTrack to rear but, so far, I haven't felt that need ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate it NoRalPh!

·
Registered
456 Posts
do these 4x4's come with a posi rear or si that an option, and if its an option, how do I know if I have it? mine is a 2002 XLT 7.3 automatic 4x4...

·
Premium Member
8,297 Posts
do these 4x4's come with a posi rear or si that an option, and if its an option, how do I know if I have it? mine is a 2002 XLT 7.3 automatic 4x4...
I'm pretty sure it does, you confirm that by simply looking at the Tag, under a cover bolt on the rear itself, that will show the ratio and a LS (for Limited Slip) on it.

·
Registered
8,457 Posts
This may not be exactly what your looking for but would help you spend money and make the truck cooler/more capable. Personally if your taking a nearly 8000lb truck where it needs lockers more than a few times I would be looking at a winch and or MT style tires. or perhaps a smaller more agile vehicle like a 4runner/jeep? You can also get a nice via air compressor for under $150 for your truck that will be way cheaper $$$ wise and easier to take with another vehicle/trailer etc. They make front receivers for these trucks for the once or twice a year winch user (me in this case) so for under $700 I got a Smittybuilt 12k winch, winch cradle, and front receiver. Etrailer supplied the front receiver and amazon for the winch, cradle, and quick connect ends. again its not best to use this on a buried truck but for the occasional use its perfectly fine and works for may that don't want a $2000 bumper and all the added weight.

MT tires are also a game changer. My bfg at2 are amazing in the snow/ice and smooth on the highway but turn to slicks in any kind of slop including wet grass. Now an MT tire from any of the big names will even allow a 2wd truck get into sty situations.

·
Premium Member
2,622 Posts
Skip the air locker and get a Detroit or Grizzly locker, they are all mechanical so you don't need any air lines or wires. You may have w factory limited slip but they aren't that great, putting a Detroit locker in the rear is one of the best things I have done to my truck.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yeah I'm planning to install a locker too.
Unlike J.Brommer I have a 2WD and I've been stuck towing too many times, I really need this. (2WD 7.3PSD E350 and 4500lb toyhauler. There's a thread here: Self recovery, stuck too many times).

But which locker? I have the factory LSD and it's not good at all in the mud. Which lockers are easiest to install or work better than others?

My boss thinks I'm working from home so this seems like a good time to tackle this job. :)

·
Premium Member
2,622 Posts
But which locker? I have the factory LSD and it's not good at all in the mud. Which lockers are easiest to install or work better than others?
Auto lockers like the Detroit locker are the easiest to install since they don't require running any air lines, power wires or cables. They are all mechanical and work all the time with no driver input, just put it in and forget about it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts