Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 f250 6.0 lariat crew cab that developed a transmission oil leak. It was determined it was leaking from the transmission front shaft seal. Today we removed the transmission but discovered that the torque converter has shaft wear from the seal. No surprise since the six nuts securing the torque converter to flywheel were all finger tight except for one. Anyways, I don't want to buy a new torque converter but want to use a speedi sleeve to fix the worn shaft. Anyone have experience using one? The one I have that's specified for my truck looks short, like 1/2" tall, but the wear pattern on shaft goes up like 1.25". I'm worried if I install the speedi sleeve and set it that the new seal wont ride on it. Hope that makes sense. Not sure what to do here. Would like to here from someone who has experienced this before. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
I use them, but not as an “alternative repair” method. Ask yourself if shortcutting the job is worth pulling the trans again when it doesn’t work.
Just buy a used or reman torque converter. The sleeve isn’t going to cover the entire wear area on the shaft. Are you absolutely sure you’re going to get the sleeve where the seal rides? At least pulling the trans is quicker the second time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's my concern. I don't know where the seal rides. I think if I set the speedi sleeve all the way down it won't be in the right spot.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
29,341 Posts
no experience with the speedi sleeve in this application but
it seems like with a straight edge and a few measurements you could set the sleeve where the seal rides ?

those tq converter nuts are a pain no wonder they were loose lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts