Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks, searched this forum and could not find any threads directly relating to this. I saw some chatter about nitrates, but nothing about silicates. I'm coming from a 2006 6.0L and the factory coolant was a known issue due to it being silicate based, which at high temps, would cause the silicates to "drop out" and gel, which over time begins to clog the egr cooler...blah, blah, blah.

My question is: I've learned the 6.7L has a different coolant (the orange stuff), but is it silicate based? Has anyone dumped the factory coolant in favor of a non-silicate based coolant, like fleetrite elc? Anyone installed a coolant filter system (like the one from Dieselsite)?

Like many of you, we've spent hard earned $'s on our trucks, and any proactive maintenance/upgrades that can/should be done for longevity is a no-brainer for me - that being said, is swapping the factory coolant for an elc, necessary??

Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
173 Posts
I would use what ever Ford calls for possible warranty issues!

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'm not going to mess with it... A lot of the problems with the 6.0 coolant was because people were not changing it that often. Can't go 100,000 + and expect it to hold up. After the warranty runs out Ill see what people have been experancing then decide then

·
Registered
966 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank You PH!
Have/Would you install a coolant filter system, like the DieselSite product?

·
Registered
966 Posts
I have not and doubt I will.

I will continue to check my coolant every 15,000 miles and flush and replace at 100,000 miles

1 - 6 of 6 Posts