Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
did some serious rock crawling today, got some sweet stories, pics, and video, more later....

Broke some stuff though.... damaged a the drag link, and dropped the tire onto a rock real hard and it stripped the steering gear. I limped her home, but the steering wheel basically spins 4-5 times and the truck will only turn about 10% either way of normal travel. Its dark, ill get under there in the morning, either the shaft is stripped(doubtful) or the gears in the steering box. Anyway i just did a quick search and it shows AGR doesnt make a steer gear for 05-08 SDs? every other year though? I would strongly consider a AGR rock ram or the likes, but couldnt find them on sale anywhere, although i only did a quick search. Anybody point me in the right directions. Ill post a rockcrawlin pic/vid in the general section later.

Thanks for advice.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Be careful spinning the wheel that far-you can tear the clockspring/blow the airbag. The wheel only turns 4ish rotations in either direction from center before the clockspring binds.

And I'd love to see the pictures-the articulation on my truck is awful. Just going diagonally through a ditch (2' deep) will lift a tire off the ground.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm calling these guys on Monday for the same reason you are. Nothing but positive feedback on these guys. PSC Motorsports Online

I was also looking at AGR but to many problems associated with them.

The only other player you might want to look at is ******* Ram ******* ram hydraulic steering assist

·
Registered
123 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys, looks like Red Head would sell me a new, better Steer gear then stock, i will probably call them and ******* on monday. i found a $2G ORU kit also. ******* should be cheaper and have a stage 3 kit that includes a steer gear. the PSD stuff re-uses your stock gear, and mine is shot. Problem i worry about with ordering a *******, is they require a core and they even note a "working core".. so if mine is shot I do not know if they will take it? Might start with a read head steering gear then look for an add on hydro assist.... Ill keep ya informed. As for the video, I have no idea how to put a video on the internet, ill have to ask the wife or something.

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ill post a pic in the general section

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
I spoke with Harvey at Redhead awhile back and he told me:

We do have a gear box in stock for your 05 F350 4x4, your cost would be $366 exchange. This is an upgraded gear box, we custom fit the worm and piston assembly with oversize balls according to need. We have 5 oversizes, the manufacturer just uses standard decimal balls, as does everyone else who rebuilds these. However, if the lash is not taken up between these components it will never drive like it should. The core charge on this gear box is $200. Harvey

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Where was the failure? I've broken several sector shafts, and am unaware of a box that uses an aftermarket shaft.

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
took a hard, hard hit, when i caught the overhang of a rock wall at about 15mph, instantly stripped the gearbox. got it out this morning. Can spin the steering wheel freely, checked all connections, it turns the shafts going into the gearbox, but the shaft coming out dont move. Once i disconnected the drag link, the pitman arm would move with steering wheel, gears inside the box are stripped. Going to hydro assist, need to find out if they will take my core or not. Will make some calls in morning.

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys, talked to ******* and ORU today. Went with ORU Hydro assist just because they were a little more experianced with Superdutys, bit quicker turn around time, and is completely bolt on versus welding. Hopefully truck will be back on road in a week or so.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
We need pics of the setup and a video of the crawling as well. Or it didnt happen.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Love to see some pics of the new set up and crawling.

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
We need pics of the setup and a video of the crawling as well. Or it didnt happen.
have a short video in the 6.0 general forum, nothing to crazy...

·
Registered
123 Posts
I checked with PSC Motorsports today. They did not have any cores in stock ready to ship. Mine is band-aided for now. Will likely go that route regardless shortly.

From some other threads it appears ORU's unit is from Lee Manufacturing Company out of Sun Vally CA. Not sure what their direct price is but reportedly less than ORU. If anyone does any followup please post up and share the information.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i'll let you know how it turns out, ORU explained a lot of things to me in detail today and that is whey i went with them. They Xray the sector shaft of the steering gears they rebuild for the kits to make sure they have no hairline cracks, he said a lot of the ones they see do have hairline cracks and they trade them back, he said some even have them from the factory, but they make sure to start with one that has 100% structural integrity. Besides that, the kit is bolt on, does not require modification of the power steering pump, and ORU knows superdutys as well as anyone in the buisness. ******* was very informative but was much less versed on the specifics of a superduty and recommended I modify the pump also. Both ******* and PSC require welding. PSC did not show steering gear modifications on their website, at least for my year model. ORU is charging an $850 core charge, in which they promise I will get some of back, I was a bit confused on this even after having them try to explain it for some time. They said they use "brand new" steering gears, but my local dealer says you can't get those, they are are rebuilt. My dealer only wanted $374 +200 core for one of their units, so im a bit confused on ORU's $850, but they have great reviews, so i will roll with it and we can figure it out once they get my core. Ill let ya know how it turns out.

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
im happy with my ORU setup, it came complete and they refunded about $550 of my $850 core, as my steering gear was trashed. now I can drive with my front and rear lockers engauged and the the hydraulic steering prevents the front locker from tearing the steering wheel out of my hand! Was a great mod. If you dont run a front locker and/or do a lot of off road, I would say it is probably overkill. For me, it was a great investment. It also really helped backing heavy trailer into tight spaces, the weight of the trailer on my truck with 37s made slowing turning backing up pretty difficult, not anymore.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Have you had any issues breaking lockout hubs?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts