Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my tunes today, but I don't have the delete pipe yet so I have to sit tight. Has anyone received the Spartan pipe or heard of an ETA?

Josh

·
Registered
89 Posts
I got mine, but unfortunately I wish I hadn't. It looks cheaply made, by that I mean they just welded a nut on the side for a bung, and it is just a straight piece of aluminized steel 3.5 inch pipe welded directlyon the flange. Talking about restriction of flow, if you look at the back of the converter, the opening is approximately 6.5 inches. So I have decided that I will just make my own out of 304 stainless, and the flange will also have the 6.5" opening then eventually neck down to 4 inches to match my magnaflow dpf back system.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I got mine, but unfortunately I wish I hadn't. It looks cheaply made, by that I mean they just welded a nut on the side for a bung, and it is just a straight piece of aluminized steel 3.5 inch pipe welded directlyon the flange. Talking about restriction of flow, if you look at the back of the converter, the opening is approximately 6.5 inches. So I have decided that I will just make my own out of 304 stainless, and the flange will also have the 6.5" opening then eventually neck down to 4 inches to match my magnaflow dpf back system.
Fuston, were you in the first or second batch of DD orders?

Second (batch) here and I have not received my pipe yet.. shame to here the quality is lacking,

·
Registered
89 Posts
First batch. I do realize however that Matt is marketing a very well engineered product, but he is not producing these pipes. He is outsourcing them to another manufacturer, and it appears to me that they were in way too much of a hurry to make these things as quickly and cheap as possible.

·
Registered
20 Posts
First batch. I do realize however that Matt is marketing a very well engineered product, but he is not producing these pipes. He is outsourcing them to another manufacturer, and it appears to me that they were in way too much of a hurry to make these things as quickly and cheap as possible.

Maybe quality will improve when they get caught up then. Anyone know who is making them?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have no idea who is making them for Matt, all I know is that they are coming out of Ohio. I am going to be working on making my first one out of 304 stainless and setting up a jig as I go, and if everything goes as expected, I am going to start producing these things. I should be able to make them out of 304 stainless or aluminized. I will let you when the first one is made.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have no idea who is making them for Matt, all I know is that they are coming out of Ohio. I am going to be working on making my first one out of 304 stainless and setting up a jig as I go, and if everything goes as expected, I am going to start producing these things. I should be able to make them out of 304 stainless or aluminized. I will let you when the first one is made.
excellent, thank you!

·
Banned
48 Posts
The pipe is designed to be used with the DOC pipe which will create a straight pipe. It uses the identical laser cut flange with a mandrel bent tube welded in it. We plan on releasing the Doc pipe in the next couple weeks. (the company building them is finishing up a couple big jobs for Caterpillar and will start on our project.) We decided to do this to allow easier installation (two pieces) along with versatility. Honestly in dyno testing it showed no real gains using just the dpf pipe with or without the doc. We plan on releasing the doc pipe at a highly discounted price to the existing Dpf pipe customers. Keep in mind the outlet of the down pipe is only 3.5 inch. So anything larger than this is strictly cosmetic. :thumb:

·
Registered
800 Posts
I personally wouldn't touch what any of those tuner guys are offering, that includes SCT.. Not worth what they are charging, and definitely the worst choice IMO..

Two great options.

Option 1.

Contact "Supercharged". He can fab up a stainless delete pipe that funnells the exhaust smoothly from the stock 7" DOC opening down to the 3 1/2", or whatever opening you choose, without that gigantic, EGT creating wall those guys are pushing. His stainless funnelled design costs roughly $20.00 more that what those guys are charging for their pipe. This is a no brainer....

Option 2.

Sean's 4" DOC/DPF delete pipe ends right where the DPF would end.
Buy the complete 4" or 5" delete pipe from Sean for almost the same price those guys are charging for just the DPF delete pipe. Or take it one step further and buy a filter back exhaust system from either MBRP, or who ever you choose.
Toss the 3 1/2" to 4" or 5" adapter, and install the pipe right onto Sean's pipe. That gives you a complete 4" or 5" system from the downpipe back. It's not going to cost much more, it any more than wadding together two 3 1/2" pieces. Now you have a smooth system that will gain you tremendous EGT relief and allow you to run the extremely high powered programs that will be coming out in the future..

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
George, I'm inclined to get Sean's pipe mostly because it's been a week since I've had my tunes and I can't use them because I still don't have my Spartan pipe. I have a feeling I'd get one from Sean before the Spartan one shows up.

I think I'm going to try to get in touch with Spartan today and see if I can't cancel the delete pipe order if it hasn't gone out yet and get Sean to make one up for me.

Josh

·
Registered
800 Posts
If you order from Sean, he'll get it out immediately.
Besides, it's heads and tails a better system over the other guy's patch job.

·
Registered
800 Posts
If it's already been sent, send it back.
It'll be worth the UPS charge.
Then, finish it off with a filter back system, so when it's time to trade, you have a carbon free, clean stock system to reinstall.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
I agree....no matter what the spartan pipe is like Seans complete delete is a cleaner piece....better performer...who the hell knows...but its a much cleaner install.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think I wasn't meant to have the Spartan pipe -- I emailed Matt today to try to cancel my order, then lo and behold the UPS man showed up with a mangled box. Even the UPS guy said we might want to refuse it as damaged considering the flange was hanging out one side of the box. I figured it would be best to refuse it rather than run the risk of being responsible for any possible damage or it not fitting.

Oh well, it'll all work out in the end -- sounds like Sean's pipe is a better solution right now anyway. I've already asked him what he needs from me to finalize the order, and hopefully in the meantime Spartan will credit me whatever that pipe cost.

Josh

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
You won't be disappointed with Sean's pipe.:thumb: Great guy to deal with too.:nod:

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
1 - 20 of 36 Posts