Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been throwing the idea around, the whistle is starting to grow old to me and I'd like to squeeze more power out of the old girl. But I'm curious how like an s300 is to cruise with. I've heard s364 is a common charger that people run? Would 175/30s on a s364 be a match made in heaven? I need new injectors anyways so I'm about to pull the trigger on 175/30s and I'll need more air.

· 6.0 Powerstroke n00b
625 Posts
I have a KC 10 blade turbine wheel in mine and the whistle was very loud with straight exhaust, especially while towing. I added a 4" straight through HD diesel muffler and its much better now while towing our RV up mountains.

· Super Moderator
13,626 Posts
when my truck was still a 6.0 I ran a s363/68 with a .83 housing and 175/30's while it lagged more than the KC S2 I had after it was more suited to my driving style.

· Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a KC 10 blade turbine wheel in mine and the whistle was very loud with straight exhaust, especially while towing. I added a 4" straight through HD diesel muffler and its much better now while towing our RV up mountains.
I couldn't run a muffler...the 6.0 clap is too fun to hear on buildings

when my truck was still a 6.0 I ran a s363/68 with a .83 housing and 175/30's while it lagged more than the KC S2 I had after it was more suited to my driving style.
That might be the setup I run. How much boost could you make? It didn't smoke too much did it?

· Premium Member
10,201 Posts
Before we had VGT, ...some men lived in caves and hunted with pointy sticks
Why would you purposefully go backwards in technology

The purpose of the VGT is to give efficiency at various operating speeds of the engine
with a standard turbo, you are limiting to a fixed power range

I have the MagnaFlow 12773 on my '06
still has the sound when I "get on it"
but the turbo whistle is nice and mellow now

· Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

The purpose of the VGT is to give efficiency at various operating speeds of the engine

I suppose. Although I've heard non vgts are better with EGTs, and better up top.

I at least have the 13 blade, so it's not too bad. But if I ever got a 10 blade I think I'd sell the truck lol. Too much whistle, I wouldn't be able to hear the actual engine.

· Administrator
27,124 Posts

hahahahahahaha

· Administrator
27,124 Posts

· Premium Member
12,032 Posts
VGT is the working mans turbo
Non-VGT is for the man who is out to prove a point.
Hey now, Some of us are just fine and dandy with our street legal tractors (7.3l) lol... But yes, the non vgt fad ended long ago and thankfully. It was such a waste unless for some very specific build for sled pulling or track truck.

· Premium Member
10,201 Posts
You could just command the VGT to your favorite position and leave it there

Reactions: Alaskanfun

· Super Moderator
13,626 Posts
I couldn't run a muffler...the 6.0 clap is too fun to hear on buildings

That might be the setup I run. How much boost could you make? It didn't smoke too much did it?
boost wise it made about the same between the KC S2 and the T4 setup, I'd have to see if I still have a CTS log or not but it's been about 5 years since my pickups been a 6.0

biggest thing I noticed between the two was with reduced fuel tunes and being able to control EGT with O/D lockout style tunes, it was easier to keep EGT's in check with a reduced fuel and non-vgt vs vgt

· Premium Member
'06 F350 Lariat
60 Posts
Do you have any videos of your truck with this setup?? Ive been wanting to upgrade my turbo but not sure i want the whistle in the cab.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts