Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently ordered a Sonnax solenoid pack for my 1995 E4OD. Part number 36424B.

What got delivered was a rebuilt solenoid pack (expected), with part number 36424B-RRP (odd but maybe OK), and a name of Advanced Powertrain Engineering (unexpected) on the box.

So at first I thought I got a substitute part, but when I Google "sonnax vs advanced powertrain engineering" a bunch of patents show up about transmission solenoid rebuilding with both companies names on them.
So it seems I got ?maybe? what I ordered just from a Sonnax subsidiary or something?

Wondering if anyone knows about this relationship for sure
Fluid Font Motor vehicle Electronic device Audio equipment

·
Premium Member
9,066 Posts
I recently replied to a post about parts re-labeling at my dealership where I worked . Getting parts with from least two different 3rd party suppliers, with our "official" part sticker over top of the 3rd party sticker. Some of the parts even came in a box with the 3rd party logo on the box, and the "big name tractor company" (not gonna say which one here) sticker, like it was theirs . This came with quite a price jack up as well, ...guess the number sticker costs a lot, the cost to my customers was more than double in some of the cases.

Anyways, the part you got may be just as good, ...just too bad you didn't know in advance. Could have ordered from the original supplier and saved the price hike for the identical part.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the odd part is that from what I could tell, that APE company was the entity that was the original awardee on the patents I found, but Sonnax is the current owner.
So I figure regardless of the actual name on the box they were probably rebuilt the same way.

·
Administrator
34,498 Posts
ask them directly ?
Sonnax Transmission Company 2 Imtec Lane, Bellows Falls, VT 05101-0440, USA
800-843-2600 · 802-463-9722

I can't imagine there is an active patent on a e40d ? maybe on the way they make a part for replacement but ?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I read through the patent. It was basically a tech writeup on what Sonnax advertises as the circuit board / ribbon upgrades they perform during rebuild of the pack. It could apply to any solenoid pack or as far as I could tell.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I think I will just run it. The original Ford one is still working at 289,000 miles so any improvement or even equivalent rebuild would be fine by me on a $220 part.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts