Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this kit for the rockers, headlights, door cups, and hood but I was getting too much dust behind the film, so I stopped. Im just going to pay a shop to do it. The kit is missing 3 pieces, and I can get them if need be as the shop that cut the film for me can cherry pick pieces if need be. These are cut on the Xpel patterns using 3m scotchgard PRO film. The kit was over 450 when I bought it, looking to get 300 shipped as is. The piece missing shouldnt cost over 50-75 bucks at most, and Id say not even that much. My loss your gain...

thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
I had a shop install x-pel (the higher end line) on my painted bumpers, rockers, door sill, tailgate, mirror caps and above the windshield. The shop said the normal kits or patterns they use have terrible coverage and they go above and beyond and cut strips for the areas the kits miss. Above the windshield was the worst. There was a 1/2” gap from the top of the windshield to where the kit started. That was where I wanted protection because every truck I have ever owned has gotten numerous rock chips there. The kit also has about an 1/8” gap around the fog lights which was not filled by the shop. The shop did a great job with installation but both mirror caps started to peel. The shop told me they will redo the caps under warranty but I have to leave them the truck for the entire day. Ugh. The shop also did the edge of the doors to avoid me causing door dings to other vehicles and all the painted area behind the door handles. I didn’t even ask for that lol.

The paint protection is a must on these trucks especially the painted bumpers. I had 32 rock chips in the bumper within the first week of driving the truck.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Prolly dumb Q but what is it and what it do?

Whtas up. Think of a screen protector for your trucks paint. Being that the paint on these trucks arent that thick and the aluminum will corrode pretty fast ( unassumingly so ) its a piece of mind for the paint. Someone bought the headlights and the mini hood from me, so I just have whats left of the rockers. I can let them go pretty cheap...

There are many manufactures of the film, but 3M is the innovator, Xpel took it further, Suntek is the easiest to install but IMO honestly 3M is still on top.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a shop install x-pel (the higher end line) on my painted bumpers, rockers, door sill, tailgate, mirror caps and above the windshield. The shop said the normal kits or patterns they use have terrible coverage and they go above and beyond and cut strips for the areas the kits miss. Above the windshield was the worst. There was a 1/2” gap from the top of the windshield to where the kit started. That was where I wanted protection because every truck I have ever owned has gotten numerous rock chips there. The kit also has about an 1/8” gap around the fog lights which was not filled by the shop. The shop did a great job with installation but both mirror caps started to peel. The shop told me they will redo the caps under warranty but I have to leave them the truck for the entire day. Ugh. The shop also did the edge of the doors to avoid me causing door dings to other vehicles and all the painted area behind the door handles. I didn’t even ask for that lol.

The paint protection is a must on these trucks especially the painted bumpers. I had 32 rock chips in the bumper within the first week of driving the truck.
Thew Xpel patterns are spot on and ALL films have to be stretched to fit even the kits. Now when I say stretch, its not a tug stretch more of a wet the panel and film and push it with your palm stretch.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Yup. I know what you mean. The kits still don’t do complete coverage unless the installer adds to the kits. It is very minimal what won’t be covered with the kit depending on the area it is applied but a good installer will make it perfect. Installing yourself is also fine if you have patience, which I do not.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup. I know what you mean. The kits still don’t do complete coverage unless the installer adds to the kits. It is very minimal what won’t be covered with the kit depending on the area it is applied but a good installer will make it perfect. Installing yourself is also fine if you have patience, which I do not.
Ehh I dont know what you mean, guess you're talking about wrapped edges? Id rather not get that personally and thats why I went with a kit. When wrapping edges that takes a lot for the adhesive to hold that radius and will eventually weaken. Plus typically dirt will collect on the back side of the edge because the adhesive it worked so hard to bond on that radius, again it gets weak.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts