Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I've mentioned before I bought a 2006 F250 PSD back in June. Being new to diesels and with this being a used truck, I was kind of apprehensive, so I ponied up for a 3 year extended warranty through Ford.

I've been meaning to go down to my local Ford dealership and have a chat with their service writers about this truck, my warranty, and my 12 degree delta, but haven't had the time yet. So, I thought I'd ask you guys what experiences you've had getting Ford to work on a 6.0 truck under warranty.

What say you?

:icon_ford:

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Which warranty did you get? There are 4 different ones that add the 3 years and only the Premium will cover your EGR and oil cooler. I have the Extra Care that is one under the Premium and I had 4 injectors replaced with the warranty and got a rental too while they were doing the work. If you are covered there won't be any questions asked. But like I said, only the Premium will cover your oil and EGR coolers.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damn, I too have the "Extra Care". :doh:

Jeeze, the guy at Ford assured me that what I purchased would cover anything on the drivetrain. :beatup:

·
Registered
541 Posts
Coming from being an ASM at Ford dealership. I can say be prepared to have the truck down a couple days with ANY warranty. Ford is extra anal about anything when it comes to their diesel warranties.

Some times its quick in out and easy approval of work. Other times in a week of back and forth, photos of this and photos of that and inspector sent out this day before anything is approved, trust me ive been there before with more then one truck.

I can say the Ford warranties are good and will cover a lot, but as long as it meets Fords requirements and hoops you must (mean the dealership) jump threw.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask. I dealt with almost all diesel warranty work at the dealership.

Jason

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jason, what I'm looking at is the fact that my oil cooler is most likely in the process of clogging. The EOT and ECT delta is high, 12-13 degrees, warmed up, at 65 mph on flat ground. I know that's within spec so I'm keeping a close eye on it. Once it exceeds said specification I'll want it fixed.

What do you think?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Jason, what I'm looking at is the fact that my oil cooler is most likely in the process of clogging. The EOT and ECT delta is high, 12-13 degrees, warmed up, at 65 mph on flat ground. I know that's within spec so I'm keeping a close eye on it. Once it exceeds said specification I'll want it fixed.

What do you think?
Thats a good gray area. because we know its failing and going to fail but in fords eyes is with in specs, meaning they will probably not cover it.

Are you getting any other issues? smoke? loss of coolant? etc. things like that is what you want to tell any writer because you describe your concern as smoking or loss of coolant or so on is better then telling them you have temperature issue. with in their tests they will find that but it will be in spec.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Which ones are the Extra Care? I have the 13 part plan at the link below and my oil cooler was done w/o question.

Ford Extended Warranty - Genuine Ford ESP
You have one of the Diesel extended warranties which give 2 more years and an additional 100k on just the motor warranty. Ford also has 4 different bumper to bumper warranties and each one higher covers more and more items. Each of these has a 3yr/36k term added to any current warranty to you have.

http://www.fordwarrantys.com/

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats a good gray area. because we know its failing and going to fail but in fords eyes is with in specs, meaning they will probably not cover it.

Are you getting any other issues? smoke? loss of coolant? etc. things like that is what you want to tell any writer because you describe your concern as smoking or loss of coolant or so on and is better then telling them you have temperature issue. with in their tests they will find that but it will be in spec.
Jason, it has been getting rid of small amounts of coolant while towing. I've been topping off to the fill line on the degas bottle with Distilled water once the truck has cooled off.

By sharing that info, plus the temp issues, wouldn't they see the need to fix it?

·
Registered
541 Posts
They can look into it and perform the necessary test. Which would probably end up leading to replacement.

The biggest part of your concern is the coolant loss. Because with coolant loss means its going somewhere and that means to Ford theres and issue and based on the final diagnosis and your warranty you can go from there.

My suggestion take it in with the concern of losing coolant. Let them know upfront that you have diesel warranty. They will run an OASIS either way but at least your being upfront with them (trust me ASM, writers really really like that!!). And another thing give them as much details as possible and let them do the diagnosis.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Pull your EGR valve and look into the hole, if it is even damp in there, the EGR cooler is ruptured and the oil cooler is clogged also. That is how I found my problem..........

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They can look into it and perform the necessary test. Which would probably end up leading to replacement.

The biggest part of your concern is the coolant loss. Because with coolant loss means its going somewhere and that means to Ford theres and issue and based on the final diagnosis and your warranty you can go from there.

My suggestion take it in with the concern of losing coolant. Let them know upfront that you have diesel warranty. They will run an OASIS either way but at least your being upfront with them (trust me ASM, writers really really like that!!). And another thing give them as much details as possible and let them do the diagnosis.
Jason, thanks for the input, I appreciate it! :icon_ford:

·
Registered
541 Posts
No problem.

Just keep us up to date with what comes of your trip to the dealership (remember not all dealerships are stealerships, although most are there are some good ones out there. my shop, my techs and writers were all honest, the problem was upper management was garbage.)

Good luck and hope it works out for you

Jason

1 - 13 of 13 Posts