Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am diving into a huge project this weekend and dummy plug and stand pipes are part of it. This is the only part of the install I am uncomfortable with and have no insight. Can someone show me some install pics or directions and let me know if there are any crazy torque specs, or tools I need to get prepared.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Would like to see this myself...:thumb:

·
Registered
680 Posts
Subscribed.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
you will need a torque wrench and a T60 (think that was the size) bit to install the new ones.

other than that its as "easy" as removing everything in the way of the valve covers, removing the valve covers, removing the old ones and then reversing for re-install.

i have the pages out of the service manual i can post when i get home tonight.

·
Registered
816 Posts
The old standpipes and dummy plugs are a 10mm hex. The new ones are 12mm. Pretty straight foward, remove the valve covers and the dummy plugs are in the front, the standpipes are in the back. They are the only things in there that are a 10mm hex. Torque is 60 lb/ft.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome..... Thanks guys

·
Diesel is Power!!!
194 Posts
Here's a picture of my passenger side dummy plug. Changing the stand pipes and plugs cured my hot start problem. Make sure you get the updated plugs and stand pipes. They now come with a white ring next to the o ring as added reinforcement. The 2 bolts on the passenger side by the ac box are a PITA but other wise an easy job. If the stand pipe tube seperates try a needle nose pliers to get the lower tube. :thumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
446 Posts
Just had mine done today. Luckily I have a friend thats a Ford Diesel mechanic and took him all of about 90mins to do all of it. I watched him do it all, Its not bad just take your time and make sure you hook all sensors back up when reinstalling. You will also need a 15/16th wrench or deep socket to get the ICP sensor out. Also make sure your batteries are fully charged, it will take a few cranks to turn over the first time or two to get all the air out of the system.

P.s I was having hot start issues and my driver side Dummy Plug O ring was half deteriorated. All good now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts