Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Was looking at the wifes tank, after i got notice of the recall
saw that, didnt think it looked normal.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Check the filler tube it maybe loose. Or the locking ring on the top of the tank is loose. There is also a vent tube that comes off the top that maybe loose.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just got my 08 P/S back from the Dealer for the Seat back recall and they also handled a new recall (08C04) on the fuel tank stopper bracket. Could be your problem.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the bracket is just to keep the tank from moving. ford said "no, thats not normal" bring it back next week.
i hate my ford dealer

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
when i was doing my draw straw on my 03 i actually cracked my threaded lid thing that holds my whole float and stuff inside the tank.it cracked and i just tighten it all down and its been fine for weeks..i probably just ginxed myself..:doh:

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Get it to the dealer. There are gaskets that need to be replaced. They need to pull tank and pressure test.
The fuel tank is not pressurized.

There are two fuel tank straps that hold the tank inplace. Between these two steel straps is a rubber bushing that prevents damage from the straps.

There is one o-ring that seals the tank. The rest are hoses, there are two vent hoses, one filler tube, one filler vent tube, and then your feed and return lines. You have one electrical connection for the fuel gauge sending unit.

Inside the tank is the fuel gauge sending unit and pick up tube assembly. With that pick up tube assembly there is a fuel screen on the bottom, then there is a canister that holds two fuel screens that filter out particles from the fuel. From there the fuel goes up out of the tank and to the fuel pump, then it goes to the fuel filter water seperator heater on the top of the engine. From there it goes to the injectors.

If you have over filled your tank this could be residue from the vent tubes there is one near the front of the tank and one near the back of the tank. When the fuel sloshes around it can come out of the vent tubes and cause what looks like a leak.

Or your lock ring came loose some how which caused this.

Or your filler tube is leaking when you fill the truck up.

Or your pick up tube assembly is cracked and leaking fuel.

Or the o-ring that seals the tank is bad and is leaking fuel.

Or the fuel tank straps rubbed a hole in the tank causing a leak.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
What is the fuel tank recall? I haven't received anything yet in the mail about it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here is a post from another website that describes the 08C04 recall.
" This recall involves the F250 and F350 trucks.

This is the exact definition of trucks involved in the recall : Advance Notice: Certain 2008 Model Year F-250 and F-350 4X4 10,000 lbs and Under GVW, 156" Wheel Base Vehicles Equipped with a Two-Piece Drive Shaft - Fuel Tank Stopper Bracket Installation

The reason for the recall is that in a headon collision there is a small chance that the fuel tank may slide forward causing it to damage the fuel delivery module or fuel lines due to contact with the cross member. causing fuel leakage. And of course fuel in the presence of a spark will ignite causing a fire hazard."

Hope this helps and happy trucking.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey Dusten, just wondering if you got this fixed? If so, what was the problem?
My 2001 F-350 just started leaking fuel from the top of the tank somehwere.
Is this happening to a lot of people?!?

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
deal said the wife over filled the tank....
btw, i sucked it up and tried a new dealer

·
Registered
9 Posts
Did you have to fix/replace anything on the tank or just too much fuel out the vents? I filled mine to the brim, then parked on a steep hill when I noticed the leak.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
no fix... :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts