Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned this 2005 Excursion for 3 years. I love the power the economy. But the things that bother me the most I am surprised to find on this forum that folks seem to treat as old hat or no problems. The 6.0 is a pile of crap that Ford has not backed what so ever. The EGR cooler and bad head gaskets on these trucks have been identified as no good. Yet Ford refuses to back up the truck. I have replaced two EGR coolers in the last 10k miles. now the head gaskets are blown. Truck has 117K. Ford wants $6000 to repair. I found a shop locally that their main business in the DFW are is to repair these problems. Made $1.5M last year alone. 3 Techs... there needs to be a class action lawsuit filed against ford for this matter. I cannot find one.

This shop is going to install an EGR delete and the new style head gaskets. This they say will solve this problem. Guess who recommends this as a FIX? Forkin Ford. This will cost $3000.00 (if the heads are not cracked) so up to now in the last 6 months I will have spent $6000 fixing this motor. As you can tell I am not happy at all. I have an HD 2500 with 181K with a 6.0 gas motor that has NEVER had a problem and still has the original brake pads. So you want a comparison? there ya go. No more Ford trucks for me. You pay 50K for a truck you expect it to last PAST the warranty.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I believe you can purchase a 200k warranty extension for about 2600 bucks, and I'm not spose to tell ya this but ther are many Ford dealers who will do an egr block off and head stud replacement while doing warranty head gasket replacement, if the customer pays the extra for the studs/delete kit, just gotta ask em.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I second Robsr on that one. Just had mine done. Not a penny cost to me, other than the cost of the studs. Yes, IH did not build a great engine with the 6.0, and unfortunately the problems are made worse by Dealers that have undertrained/incompetent techs. I know of one that had done hundreds of head gasket replacements, but he studs them and fixes the EGR issues, so there are very few of those that ever come back.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
It's no secret the 6.0 has its issues. There are fixes, ie; egr delete, head studs, etc. And maintenance is important with these motors.

Bash all you want, there's a lot of good 6.0s out there also, and Ford sold more 6.0s that Dodge and GM diesels combined. I am loyal to Ford and will accept "tinkering" ie repairing my 6.0 as needed. Ford has provided me with many GREAT trucks in the past. I'll let em slide on this one, so to speak.

·
Registered
957 Posts
If I have a family member who needs a ride to the hospital, I want to hear a powerstroke pull up because I know that even though there have been issues with the 6.0, The tech's who keep em rolling are some of the most highly trained and dedicated in the industry.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I believe you can purchase a 200k warranty extension for about 2600 bucks, and I'm not spose to tell ya this but ther are many Ford dealers who will do an egr block off and head stud replacement while doing warranty head gasket replacement, if the customer pays the extra for the studs/delete kit, just gotta ask em.
yeah i was told where i bought my truck i could go back before 100,000 miles and purchase a warranry up to 200,000 miles for $2000 bucks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why would I have to buy an extended warranty for a problem that Ford knows about and refuses to fix? So it is up to the consumer to fix Fords issues by spending more money? That makes no sense at all. Ford tells everyone these engines are good to 300K miles. Right... Cost of ownership is not considered.

The first EGR Cooler was installed by a certified Ford Master Tech that did it on the side. He is a great mechanic. he moved to a service advisor position. So I took to him again. I suggested the Delete kit. He said no and we installed the cooler again. 4K miles later. same problem. NOT covered by Ford again and past the 6 month warranty on the installation. FORD did not cover any of it. that was at 107K. I tried everything, even calling the regional manager. No dice. So keep on preaching the FORD is so great thing guys cause you are only fooling yourself. They do not stand behind thier products.

My wifes previous truck was a Z71 Tahoe. It had horrible piston slap in the morning. I called chevrolet and they said it was not an issue. I said prove it and extend the drive train warranty to 100K from the standard 36K. They did it without question. that is standing behind your product. Truck went 136K without any issues and we traded it for this pile.

And do not get me started with the relays and the electronics in this Ford. the computer has been reflashed twice. the A/C controller replaced and the instrument panel and Turn signal assembly had to be replaced too. At my cost cause it was past the 36K warranty on the electronics.

I had a 97 F-250 that went 250K without any issues what so ever. So I thought for sure this EB Excursion would be a great buy. Boy am I disappointed.

·
Registered
193 Posts
so fix it and get rid of it, no one made you buy it and no one is gonna make you keep it. Don't get me wrong, I feel your pain. I bought my truck on the 6th of this month, and on the 7th, I had it towed back to the dealer, it will be receiving a new long block most likely, but I drove the truck and I liked the truck so I bought it and I am going to fix the problems it has and roll on, if I get it back and dont like it, I will sell it or trade it. thats what I got the warranty for, I wont replace the egr but once, and that will be with a delete, and studs for the heads. oh and my truck only has 70 k on it. I was extremely pissed when it happened, but I chose to buy it, so its on me to deal with it.

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
The first EGR Cooler was installed by a certified Ford Master Tech that did it on the side. He is a great mechanic. he moved to a service advisor position. So I took to him again. I suggested the Delete kit. He said no and we installed the cooler again. 4K miles later. same problem.
Just curious, but has the oil cooler ever been replaced before? If not, THAT is what's causes repeat EGR cooler failures. EVERY one that I've replaced both coolers on, has NEVER come back with a repeat issue for me. This is why I ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS replace BOTH coolers, even if the other is still good. So far, I've had nothing but happy customers as a result.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually yes we did replace the Oil Cooler Last time. The shop will call me tomorrow morning and tell me if the EGR cooler is for sure shot. Even though we are replacing it with the delete. But the head Gaskets are for sure gone. The shop doing the work has the new and improved Head Gaskets tha FORD had made to replace the bad ones. I just pray my heads are not cracked. This is the Wifes truck. Becasue of the EGR cooler thing she is always aware of the gauges. She says it overheated but she stopped and called me the minute is got hot. It was cool when I showed up to fill the radiator back up. that was when I saw the exhaust gases bubbling in the reservoir.

Yes I would like to sell the truck. But I cannot get much for it if it is broke. Plus no matter what I will most likely not get the Wife out of the Excursion she loves it past the point that it is broken so often. I like the truck too in that you cannot get them anymore and it is like driving a RV down the road (in a good way) My only real complaint is that FORD has not backed up this Engine and fixed what they knew was wrong. Bad business. There should have been a recall. If I could stuff a 6.7 cummins in the truck it would be perfect.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Studs and the EGR Delete, should make a huge difference for you. Usually the heads are ok unless the gaskets were blown for a long time and the person still ran the hell out it.

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
My only real complaint is that FORD has not backed up this Engine and fixed what they knew was wrong. Bad business. There should have been a recall.
Ford HAS already backed up as much as it can possible, almost to the point where it has ruined them. And, it's not even THEIR engine. This is the very reason the relationship between Ford and Navistar has ended, after 26 years. I guess a million dollars per day in warranty claims on these engines was too much for them. We can only hope the forthcoming 6.7L Scorpion engine (Ford's very first "in-house" built diesel for light duty truck use) won't be nearly as disastrous as the 6.0L was.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Studs and the EGR Delete, should make a huge difference for you. Usually the heads are ok unless the gaskets were blown for a long time and the person still ran the hell out it.
the heads were never even good from the factory.

if you are having so many problems then cut your lost and sell it.

my dads friends 05 was lemon lawed with like 9k on it..truck was a totally piece chit, my dads 05 runs awesome, totally stock and he tows and drives it everday.

my trucks gets used a decent amount not my daily driver but im usually at the track with my truck alot. beat it on a daily basis.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright. Anyone in FT. Worth or the DFW area. I found the place to get your 6.0 fixed RIGHT. Diesel Pros in Hurst. they replaced the head gaskets, Did a Valve Job and installed an EGR delete kit for $3200.00. Good guys that know their stuff.

·
Registered
597 Posts
That's a good price. Is that with studs and machine work?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes it is with Machine work and Studs. I was floored. He told me it was a good price. the dealer wanted nearly twice that.

With all the 6.0s that Ford sold that may be a good business to go into. Light Duty Diesel repair.

·
Registered
2 Posts
there needs to be a class action lawsuit filed against ford for this matter.
I am going through this problem as we speak.:(
My 2004 6.0 has white smoke billowing out of the exhaust, I called a buddy that has two 6.0s 2004 and a 2005, he told me it is the egr cooler for sure. Both of his trucks had the same problem, one of them twice.
He too wonders why there is not a class action suit yet. :dunno:
I have 109,000 miles on the truck and of course it goes out now.
My take on this is, if the egr cooler failure was an isolated problem it would be one thing but finding out that so many 6.0 owners are going through this and Ford will not stand by their mistake is another.
When things like this happen and you have the comfort of a warranty it's only an inconvenience, when you do not have a warranty it can be a financial crisis for some. Like many consumers, I paid extra for the diesel because I was told it should last for 300.000 miles or more, If Ford has a viable solution then they admit they have a problem.
:nod:

·
Registered
4 Posts
There have already been law suits. the best advice if you love this truck and you want it to last for 300k or more, would be to find a shop that specializes in the 6.0, have them evaluate your situation and deal with the root causes of these failures. even if you have to ship it across the country.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I know that some will say that "Ford should fix this and fix that, and etc, etc, etc" Point is the 6.0 has been out since 03, they do not have a good fix that meets EPA standards, and will substantially increase the life of the egr system, and not cost 5K per vehicle to implement, or they would have done it. Or international would have done it. Whomever is responsible. So at this time, the only thing you can really do is delete the EGR system completely to remove any chance of failure. If you are in a state the emission tests diesels, then you may want to use a sneaky pipe that blocks the egr system, but keeps all the original plumbing intact. But this would still fail a sniffer test. At this time this seems to be the only viable solution. There are some "upgraded" EGR systems out there, but I cant attest to how well they function.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts