Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 08 was 3.73's and towed in fifth gear like a freight train (granted it was spartan tuned, but i only ran the lower hp tunes), and my new truck is shifting all over the place, and it drives me nuts. If i wanted that i would have bought a gasser.

When pulling a trailer, i am down into fifth at the bottom of the hill, and by the time i make it part way up the hill it is wanting to drop into 4th and rev up to about 3,000 rpms!!! I hate the 3.31's, didnt' want them to begin with, but the dealer talked me into it. I don't like the fact that the only way to get 3.73's is in a dually. A one ton diesel should not have 3.31 gearing, unless you drive it around as a grocery getter.

Not sure that 3.55's would be much better, but maybe?? I wanted to put 285 tires on my truck, but definately won't now after seeing how poorly it performs with the stock size on it!

I know ford did this because they thought they were going to get better fuel mileage, so they could post that on there resume, but i have to work my 6.7/3.331's so hard to keep it up to speed that it doesn't get any better mileage than my 08 6.4L. Highly disappointed!!

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
If you didn't want em, why'd you let em talk you into it?

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
First, the fact of how the new 6R140 is geared, there is no reason for the SRW trucks, with their towing capacities to need 3.73s any longer (this was also a fuel economy market, and emissions consideration).

6R110 - 3.31s - 3.55s
1st - 3.97 - 13.14 - 14.09
5th - 0.86 - 2.84 - 3.05
6th - 0.67 - 2.21 - 2.37

5R110 - 3.55s - 3.73s
Rev - 2.88 - 10.22 - 10.74
1st - 3.11 - 11.04 - 11.60
5th (4th)- 1.00 - 3.55 - 3.73
6th (5th)- 0.71 - 2.52 - 2.64

Off the line, the new transmission puts more to the ground with 3.31s than the 5R110 used to do with 3.73s, so the arguement that a 1 ton truck shouldn't have 3.31s is outdated. The whole reason for the double overdrive on the new transmission is fuel economy. How much does this trailer weigh, and how bad is this grade?

Second you mention being talked into the 3.31s by the dealership. Did you test drive the truck with 3.31's, before purchase. Did you buy the truck as a DD, or for work/towing?

On Edit, for the hunting issue - Shift the Transmission to Manual Mode, and control it. If only I had that option with the 5R110.

·
Registered
105 Posts
My 08 was 3.73's and towed in fifth gear like a freight train (granted it was spartan tuned, but i only ran the lower hp tunes), and my new truck is shifting all over the place, and it drives me nuts. If i wanted that i would have bought a gasser.

When pulling a trailer, i am down into fifth at the bottom of the hill, and by the time i make it part way up the hill it is wanting to drop into 4th and rev up to about 3,000 rpms!!! I hate the 3.31's, didnt' want them to begin with, but the dealer talked me into it. I don't like the fact that the only way to get 3.73's is in a dually. A one ton diesel should not have 3.31 gearing, unless you drive it around as a grocery getter.

Not sure that 3.55's would be much better, but maybe?? I wanted to put 285 tires on my truck, but definately won't now after seeing how poorly it performs with the stock size on it!

I know ford did this because they thought they were going to get better fuel mileage, so they could post that on there resume, but i have to work my 6.7/3.331's so hard to keep it up to speed that it doesn't get any better mileage than my 08 6.4L. Highly disappointed!!
Have you tried locking the transmission out of 6th gear when you have a heavy load ? I have a crew cab 6.7 with 3.31 gearing and I love it. It pulls much better than my 7.3 with 3.73 gearing and gets better mileage. I tow a 5th wheel weighing 11,000 pounds and a horse trailer weighing 8,000 pounds loaded in the Cascade Mountains of Washington with no problems at all. I get 18 miles per gallon empty and 11 to 13 towing both trailers. I am very happy with the 3.31 gears. :):)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Would taller tires drop your gear ratio?
Taller tires will make the truck behave as if it had a taller gear ratio. The taller the tires, the more noticeable the effect.

·
Registered
106 Posts
3.31 ARNT BAD IT MIGHT JUST BE YOUR DRIVING HABITS. LIKE FOR ME I HAVE 35" TIRES MY TRUCK DOES NOT LIKE TO TOW IN THE 50 -55 RANGE WITH OUT LOOKING TO DOWN SHIFT. IF I TOW 60 TO65 ITS FINE. I TOW MY #14000 TOY HUALER FINE UP THE GRAPE FINE OR GROUSER GRADE OR THE TEHACHPIE PASS. YOU CAN ALSO JUST LOCK
6TH GEAR OUT.

·
Registered
261 Posts
"I know ford did this because they thought they were going to get better fuel mileage, so they could post that on there resume, but i have to work my 6.7/3.331's so hard to keep it up to speed that it doesn't get any better mileage than my 08 6.4L."
Not sure whats going on here. The new trans has 6 gears vs 5 gears. This allowed Ford to lower all the lower gears as well as adding 5 and 6 gear overdrive. Running the lower tunes would sill not put that 08 over the 800ft lbs of the 6.7. How much are you towing? I have 3.55's with 35.5" tires. My friends as well as my inlaws have 3.31's, we don't see that big of a difference. Maybe your rig needs a flash? Somethings not right. I don't think you will find to many 6.7L owners that would say there older SD's tow better.

Did you tune this 6.7L? If so they could be using the old 2010-11 trans code that has now been completely redone. If it is tuned return it to stock and see how it runs.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I tow heavy daily (and use 4wd daily) and have no gearing issues with the 3:31's. I am getting ready to go 35'' tires and see no reason to change gears

·
Registered
453 Posts
Thats why I ordered mine with 355's I have them in my 97 and love them now if it would just get here :)

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
Thats why I ordered mine with 355's I have them in my 97 and love them now if it would just get here :)
Yea but 2xx horse compared to 400 is a big difference

I made my Samsung SGH-I997 send this.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The only reason i got the 3.31's was because that's how this particular dealership orders all there trucks with the 18" wheels. The only trucks they had with the 3.55's had 20"s which i did not want due to the tires being so expensive and a limited selection. They were giving me the best deal on my trade in by far from the other dealerships i had checked with.

I have had issues with the def/nox error message and the tranny shifted fine before they reflashed it for the issues, now it does not. I guess i need to check and see if they came out with another reflash yet. I hate the reflash business, been throught that way to many times with my 03 6.0 (simple cure all for all problems).

Don't get me wrong, i love the truck, other than the way it shifts and the fact that it's shifting down at the slightest little grade while pulling.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
perhaps mod your new truck to me similar to your old truck and see how it tows.. probably just as good.

·
Registered
91 Posts
.... when my problems are my options... how can it get any better?

:wink[3]:

.... I bought 3 trannys for my 99 pulling heavy, having a 'helper' haul for me and this truck is the beast of choice.

I helped a buddy pull his f'ver about 14 hours the other day driving his dodge 6.7 mega cab, made me miss my truck. His comment was he loved his truck and wished he had the ford tranny.

He did get a little tired of me honking and giving the thumbs up to the 2011-12 f series trucks from the drivers seat of his dodge though......:rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Administrator
30,470 Posts
I have had issues with the def/nox error message and the tranny shifted fine before they reflashed it for the issues, now it does not. I guess i need to check and see if they came out with another reflash yet. , i love the truck, other than the way it shifts and the fact that it's shifting down at the slightest little grade while pulling.
Maybe it is a simple as a flash issue?
Here is a similar case Question? The recall on my 2011 F-250 jacked my truck.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I always ordered my trucks in the past with the lowest possible ratio. My last truck (dodge CTD 6.7) had 410's, which I put large tires and lift. I was a little hesitant to get the 3.31's in this truck but don't plan on lifting and not much bigger tires. The tow rating is the same on both 3.31 and 3.55's. It has taking me a little getting used to but now I don't have any concerns. The 800 Ft. Lbs of torque at 1,600 RPM make it possible to kind of lug around. The one thing I get tired of is shifting into 6th gear at low speeds running around town but my last truck with 4.10's did the same thing.
I think it's just something new that is hard for us old heads to get used to. You have to remember we can use the manual mode and also lock-out 6th with a flick of a switch.
Since I don't plan on lifting and big tires I don't see an issue with the 3.31's, plus the better MPG's is a plus but you will have to back off the throttle to see that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sorry to resurrect a dead old thread but I just did a google "hate the 3.31" and found this thread. I just got enough break in on my 2013 (275/70R18 3.31)to take the 30' TT (~10k lb) out with the family for the weekend. Same route I took many times in my 03 6L (265/75R16 3.73), no tune just an exhaust. I was more than disappointed with the way this truck performed. So much so that I am considering having the 3.55's put in or trade the thing next year for a 2015 DRW if Ford does not change the axle options on the SRW. I bought a new truck in 93, 03 and 13, so not one of those guys who changes trucks every time a new bell and whistle comes out.

I could have put 35" tires on my 03 and it still would have pulled a hill towing better than this truck. I know most are really happy with their trucks and I loved my 03 but it really sucks to have a $60k+ truck in your driveway that makes you wish you kept your old truck for another year.

The ELA is nice, climbing (with trailer) out of a recreation area with a washboard gravel road ~4-5% grade back up to the highway. Truck was lurching, fighting each turn for traction. Locked out the axle and was smooth from there.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Sorry to resurrect a dead old thread but I just did a google "hate the 3.31" and found this thread. I just got enough break in on my 2013 (275/70R18 3.31)to take the 30' TT (~10k lb) out with the family for the weekend. Same route I took many times in my 03 6L (265/75R16 3.73), no tune just an exhaust. I was more than disappointed with the way this truck performed. So much so that I am considering having the 3.55's put in or trade the thing next year for a 2015 DRW if Ford does not change the axle options on the SRW. I bought a new truck in 93, 03 and 13, so not one of those guys who changes trucks every time a new bell and whistle comes out.

I could have put 35" tires on my 03 and it still would have pulled a hill towing better than this truck. I know most are really happy with their trucks and I loved my 03 but it really sucks to have a $60k+ truck in your driveway that makes you wish you kept your old truck for another year.

The ELRD is nice, climbing (with trailer) out of a recreation area with a washboard gravel road ~4-5% grade back up to the highway. Truck was lurching, fighting each turn for traction. Locked out the axle and was smooth from there.
Don't quote me on this. I beleive I have read of a vendor on here selling 3.73 gears for our SRW trucks.

I think my 3.55's are perfect. I wouldn't want 3.73's, as I don't have anything over 12K, and would lose MPG when empty...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Have you tried locking the transmission out of 6th gear when you have a heavy load ? I have a crew cab 6.7 with 3.31 gearing and I love it. It pulls much better than my 7.3 with 3.73 gearing and gets better mileage. I tow a 5th wheel weighing 11,000 pounds and a horse trailer weighing 8,000 pounds loaded in the Cascade Mountains of Washington with no problems at all. I get 18 miles per gallon empty and 11 to 13 towing both trailers. I am very happy with the 3.31 gears. :):)
I'm having exactly the same experience with my new 6.7L/3.31, without the horse trailer. I'm pretty happy with the 18-plus!! mpg I'm getting empty! :thumb:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts