Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put a superduty 7.3 into an old body style?? Im rebuilding the 96 and was wondering if I shouldnt just try to find a superduty 17* engine to put in. Seems like all you would have to do is get it tuned properly for the injectors. I know theres guys running split shots in these trucks isnt there??

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
You don't need to swap the whole SD engine unless you just feel like it. Just grab the 17° HPOP off an SD and it will bolt right into your truck (though I recommend sending it to Joey at Terminator Engineering to have it modified first). SD injectors will drop in also but you'd be better off going with a set of Stage 1 single shots. Get rid of the fuel pump in the valley in favor of a stock SD electric pump as well.
If you want to do an SD engine swap you will need the complete engine harness as well since the accessories are setup up different (alt and a/c compressor trade places among others) and the UVCH connections are different as well.

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
if its power your after your better off keeping the engine you have in it since it has the forged connecting rods and single shot injectors, most super dutys have weaker powdered metal connecting rods, its a more common swap to put an first gen engine into a super duty

·
Registered
392 Posts
Has anyone put a superduty 7.3 into an old body style?? Im rebuilding the 96 and was wondering if I shouldnt just try to find a superduty 17* engine to put in. Seems like all you would have to do is get it tuned properly for the injectors. I know theres guys running split shots in these trucks isnt there??
oh boy, by the looks of it your a bit confused as to what a 17* even is.... Im also confused as to what your doing, are you rebuilding the engine, changing the hpop or what?

If your rebuilding or swapping engines then swapping in s superduty engine isnt hard at all. the main differences are the dip stick tube bulk head in the oil pan needs reclocked, intake plenums need swapped to the smaller 2", exh manifolds and all turbo stuff, engine mounts and thats about it. couple hours worth of work and your ready to go. now if your just wanting a 17* hpop then just swap the damn thing in.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Swapping a SD engine into an OBS just for the HPOP is like swapping an OBS body onto a SD chassis just because you want a solid front axle.

·
Electrical Ogre
12,276 Posts
You'd also need to change to an electric fuel pump. The SD 7.3 doesn't even have the cam eccentric to drive a mechanical pump.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
oh boy, by the looks of it your a bit confused as to what a 17* even is.... Im also confused as to what your doing, are you rebuilding the engine, changing the hpop or what?

If your rebuilding or swapping engines then swapping in s superduty engine isnt hard at all. the main differences are the dip stick tube bulk head in the oil pan needs reclocked, intake plenums need swapped to the smaller 2", exh manifolds and all turbo stuff, engine mounts and thats about it. couple hours worth of work and your ready to go. now if your just wanting a 17* hpop then just swap the damn thing in.
17* = 17* HPOP

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know its just the hpop. But theres oil in the coolant so im thinking its either the oil cooler or a headgasket. SOOOO..... if its a head gasket the engine has 400k on it anyway and was thinking im pretty sure I can find a superduty replacement at about the same price as a Obs replacement. Understand my thought process guys?

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
go for any 7.3 and just make sure it hasforged rod and put single shots in for sure. I have never ran splits for a good reason

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Curious as to why everyone loves single shots

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I know its just the hpop. But theres oil in the coolant so im thinking its either the oil cooler or a headgasket. SOOOO..... if its a head gasket the engine has 400k on it anyway and was thinking im pretty sure I can find a superduty replacement at about the same price as a Obs replacement. Understand my thought process guys?
Curious as to why everyone loves single shots

No, your logic makes no sense. If you can't find a forged rod SD motor you are putting in an engine with a higher failure rate. Plus if you buy an SD engine you have a lot of work to do just to make it work. if you can save enough AND can afford the electric fuel conversion you still have to swap injectors out or buy a chip to run the splits... unless your truck is a late 96 or 97 Cali emissions model.

Single shot injectors are more bang for the buck- they don't waste fuel on a pilot shot and take less oil to run them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
your better off rebuilding the motor thats in your truck than buying a SD motor, you have a better motor overall and rebuilding it is gunna be alot easier and prolly not really much more expensive and you will be happier with the final result. and chances are unless u beat the heack outa the truck it cld be just injector cups came loose, seen it a hundred times and everyone thinks the motor is junk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts