Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
One guy off roads and had a wheel come off driving Down the road. Not to mention 4 front hubs In a few years.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Have over 10k on mine and haven't had any issues, knock on wood. I check for play in the bearings periodically and haven't had one go yet. No hubs either.

Most of that is on the street though so it may not be much help.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
for every bad story there is a good one. I really don't see the difference in putting spacers on a 99-04 axle and running a 5" back space wheel compared to a 05-16 axle with a 5" backspaced wheel. the leverage is still at the end of the hub.

how much wider are the late model axles in comparison?

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
The newer wheels sit much farther in. So you need a 2 inch spacer to make them sit like they should. Spacers are ok in that application.

·
Premium Member
3,909 Posts
Just be sure to buy machined metal spacers made in the USA, and not the cheap Chinese aluminum ones.
As far as axle stress, I asked my Ford Diesel tech about that. He told me that the single rear wheel truck have essentially the same bearing assembly as a dually, which have a great deal of offset on them. He said not to worry, and just buy quality spacers.

I just ordered a set of 1.5" spacers from Stahl for $500 to run factory 20" wheels off a 2016. They have a lifetime warranty and are covered by a $2,000,000 insurance policy for damages to my vehicle and myself. I talked to the owner of Stahl and he told me they've never had a single failure yet, other than someone over torqueing the lug nuts and breaking the studs off (which they replaced). The studs are grade 10, while Ford uses grade 8.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Yup, Lenny offers a quality spacer.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I have been using a 2 piece wheel adaptor from Motorsport Tech on my jeep for years with no issues. Now I wheel the **** out of my heavy pig jeep. I couldn't be happier. When I ordered them they took a while but they were in the middle of moving. He even kept the price after he found out he had a website bug & sent them next day air since they took so long.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
I have been using a 2 piece wheel adaptor from Motorsport Tech on my jeep for years with no issues. Now I wheel the **** out of my heavy pig jeep. I couldn't be happier. When I ordered them they took a while but they were in the middle of moving. He even kept the price after he found out he had a website bug & sent them next day air since they took so long.

i'll second that!!! i have BORA spacers from Motorsports tech too. on my rock crawler and super duty. the only isssue i have on the super duty is i keep blowing out front wheel hubs. i just blew on last week and that #8 for me.............. EIGHT OF THEM!!!!!! i think its because i have a bad brand from oriellys. so im switching from Precision Bearings to TIMKENS

but my truck is on 38x15.5s
my wheels are 20x12 with -44 off set and with wheel spacers that means i have about -94 off set which would be hard on any hub any ways
so after 2 years of blowing hubs every 1,000 to 5,000 miles
i'm going to stop running spacers and get TIMKEN bearings

and then eventually switch over to 05+ axles with 4 link and coil overs to get that "Stance" back and have a better ride

but i now hate spacers due to the fact my hubs suckkkkkk. but the spacers did great!!! if your going to get a set, get BORA ones from Motorsport tech

if your running 2" spacer YOU MUST!!!! I REPEAT YOU MUST!!!! OR YOU WILL DIE!!!! GRIND DOWN THE STOCK STUDS ON THE FRONT ABOUT 1/8" SO THAT THE WHEEL WILL BE PRESSED UP AGAINST THE SPACER AND NOT THE STUDS. THE STOCK STUDS STICK OUT ABOUT 2 1/8". SO THEY JUST NEED TO BE GROUND DOWN A LITTLE, ITS NOT ENOUGH TO RUIN THE THREADS. JUST GRIND THE TIP DOWN A LITTLE OR YOU WILL RUN INTO BIG PROBLEMS LATER ON AND PROBABLY LOOSE A WHEEL,
ASK ME HOW I KNOW.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Timkens are the only way I will go now. I have bad experience with Oreilly's & autozones bearings.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i'll second that!!! i have BORA spacers from Motorsports tech too. on my rock crawler and super duty. the only isssue i have on the super duty is i keep blowing out front wheel hubs. i just blew on last week and that #8 for me.............. EIGHT OF THEM!!!!!! i think its because i have a bad brand from oriellys. so im switching from Precision Bearings to TIMKENS

but my truck is on 38x15.5s
my wheels are 20x12 with -44 off set and with wheel spacers that means i have about -94 off set which would be hard on any hub any ways
so after 2 years of blowing hubs every 1,000 to 5,000 miles
i'm going to stop running spacers and get TIMKEN bearings

and then eventually switch over to 05+ axles with 4 link and coil overs to get that "Stance" back and have a better ride

but i now hate spacers due to the fact my hubs suckkkkkk. but the spacers did great!!! if your going to get a set, get BORA ones from Motorsport tech

if your running 2" spacer YOU MUST!!!! I REPEAT YOU MUST!!!! OR YOU WILL DIE!!!! GRIND DOWN THE STOCK STUDS ON THE FRONT ABOUT 1/8" SO THAT THE WHEEL WILL BE PRESSED UP AGAINST THE SPACER AND NOT THE STUDS. THE STOCK STUDS STICK OUT ABOUT 2 1/8". SO THEY JUST NEED TO BE GROUND DOWN A LITTLE, ITS NOT ENOUGH TO RUIN THE THREADS. JUST GRIND THE TIP DOWN A LITTLE OR YOU WILL RUN INTO BIG PROBLEMS LATER ON AND PROBABLY LOOSE A WHEEL,
ASK ME HOW I KNOW.

I had originally wanted to run a set of 18x9 method nv's with 5.75 back spacing because I like the new shallow front face of the current gen wheels but I think it might be safer to just go with the 4.5" bs. I have the dynatrac free spin kit so I don't have to worry about the unit bearings crapping out on me but it's a tough call. the last thing I want is to be way out in the desert or up on a mountain and have a hub go.

·
california deplorable
10,442 Posts
Have over 10k on mine and haven't had any issues, knock on wood. I check for play in the bearings periodically and haven't had one go yet. No hubs either.

Most of that is on the street though so it may not be much help.
i have 70k on mine i wheel when i get a chance and live on a dirt road most pavement princesses would turn and run from no issues...just sayin

Just be sure to buy machined metal spacers made in the USA, and not the cheap Chinese aluminum ones.
As far as axle stress, I asked my Ford Diesel tech about that. He told me that the single rear wheel truck have essentially the same bearing assembly as a dually, which have a great deal of offset on them. He said not to worry, and just buy quality spacers.

I just ordered a set of 1.5" spacers from Stahl for $500 to run factory 20" wheels off a 2016. They have a lifetime warranty and are covered by a $2,000,000 insurance policy for damages to my vehicle and myself. I talked to the owner of Stahl and he told me they've never had a single failure yet, other than someone over torqueing the lug nuts and breaking the studs off (which they replaced). The studs are grade 10, while Ford uses grade 8.
THIS!!!!
and had i kown i have a set of 1.5s i would have given up for a hundred bucks and the ride!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts