Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I think I might have seen this done on the fenders on some other trucks on this site so I don't know if this is a new mod or not. But here it goes-

Step 1: Drive to Auto Zone and buy a roll of masking tape and a can of paint stripper.

Step 2: Mask the area around the emblem very carefully as you don't want any paint stripper touching the body of the truck.

Step 3: Spray some paint stripper on an old toothbrush or a rag and scrub the emblem until all the paint is removed.

Step 4: Hose off the emblem and surrounding area and remove tape.

Here is a pic of one of my fender emblems:

Here is a pic of one of my door emblems where I decided to leave the "Turbo Diesel V8" because I think it looks cool:

Here is my Tailgate emblem:

I have had this done for a while as seen in my " 24" Alcoa's Thread" but I recently did the stock Ford Emblem in the grille. The paint on the Ford emblem was starting to fade/peel and I was just going to sand it down and paint it black but since I still had plenty of paint stripper left I decided to experiment and see if I could give it some shine. I had to remove the grille and the emblem is secured by two plastic clips and one small nut. Here is my stock Ford grille emblem:

Side shot where you can see the side emblems:

I'm thinking about giving the Ford emblem in the tailgate a shot but it has some sort of clear gel like coating on it and I don't want to risk ruining it.

Sorry for the crappy pic quality I was in a hurry as usual.

·
Premium Member
13,244 Posts
looks great, i may do this on mine!!!

·
Registered
299 Posts
I've done that on all my fords. I use Acetone. Just gotta be careful. I even heated up the ford one on the tailgate and peeled the rubber out and painted just the ford lettering. I'll have to take some pics.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've done that on all my fords. I use Acetone. Just gotta be careful. I even heated up the ford one on the tailgate and peeled the rubber out and painted just the ford lettering. I'll have to take some pics.
That would be sweet if you take some pics, I guess I'm gonna give my tailgate emblem some more shine this weekend. :wink[3]:

Nice rig TANK.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The paint on one of my fender emblems was flaking off which is what made me decide to do the mod.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
when I upgraded my Fender and tailgate badges from my 02 to the 05's I ordered them without the color in them. I kept the color in the powerstroke badges in the door though. Yea I always see them flaking off on trucks on the road, not very durable it seems

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I went ahead and did the Ford tail gate emblem today, just peeled off the the clear gel-like coating with a small flathead and used the same procedure as the other emblems-

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
my neighbor has this done to his looks cool i just dont know if i could give up my blue oval?

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
the tailgate emblem actually looks good. I did this to my dad's truck when his paint was peeling off on his 05

·
Registered
299 Posts
Looks nice and clean!!!!!!!!!!

I have all new custom badges I ordered coming next weekend so when I put them on I'll post up some pics.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
That looks REALLY good!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Well, she was looking a little plain under the hood so I added some shine there too. I had to take the pic with the hood down because it was too shiny for pics with the hood up.

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
Sweet! Yeah, I did my badges as well. I think it looks much better

·
Registered
242 Posts
Thats pretty funny, I just found out about this a couple days ago and decided to see if I "discovered" this. Guess not lol. I used brake cleaner though. It looks friggin sweet and I've seen badges like this for 50 bucks a piece!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts