Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping this thread will answer questions I had and really never got a straight answer on about having lost my low end torque after a change to non-vgt.
My truck is an 06 crew cab, 3.73 gears, stock tires, steel flat bed, 6.0, 4wd, weighs 9200 lbs with 6 speed manual. Upgrades include studs, 4” exhaust, 190/30 injectors, 7.3 fan clutch and repaired emissions equipment. When I put the truck together, a 363 sxe non-vgt was the recommend charger. I know guys running the 362/363 sxe turbos with autos and run great...tow fine. But with a manual trans, you will lose your low end, off the line torque. My truck (with the 363) started to make boost (on a mechanical gauge) at around 17-1800 rpm...a couple pounds. By 2200 it would build 12-15lbs and full boost around 27-2800 rpm. Those numbers (atleast for me) translate to a laggy truck. I’ve been over every connection multiple times. Changed or tried about everything I could think of and still felt like a laggy truck to me.
So, a friend who was switching to a non-vgt gave me his 03’ stock charger. I disassembled and cleaned everything and made a few minor mods. Installed it today and boy what a difference!! My low end torque is back! No changes to the tuning yet but man it’s already night and day different. I will freely admit that the top end now suffers above 3000 rpm compared to the 363 but I’ll take that trade any day. Truck now has power down low and is way less smoky. Stock turbo starts to spool around 10-1100 rpm and has 10-12psi by 1500 rpm.
I feel like egts will be fine but will be glad to report back if anyone wants to know. My plans now are tunes specific to this setup, a new air filter and possibly a billet compressor wheel. Anyway, if your the guy (like me) wanting you know what happened to your bottom end torque when you went non-vgt...maybe this will answer the question. Consequently, I have a low mileage 363sxe setup for sale.

Reactions: letsmow10

·
Registered
109 Posts
I don't have experience with a non-vgt, but I have Warren 190/30's and a KC Stage 2 (VGT). It spools really quick and cleans up the 190/30's no problem. EGT's get up there, though. I can hit 1100* w/ roughly 30% throttle in about 8 seconds.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I honestly thought hard about going to the kc stage 2...at 11-1200 rpm under load...about how much boost do you see?

·
Super Moderator
9,629 Posts
Now you know why the newer trucks are running a VGT turbo over a non-vgt turbo. VGT's low end is a boss but loose it up top. Converse to the non-vgt that dogs on the low end, but breathes nicely up top.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I honestly thought hard about going to the kc stage 2...at 11-1200 rpm under load...about how much boost do you see?
I have yet to install an aftermarket boost gauge. I only have the one in the dash and my edge, which both max out at about 30 lbs, they use the same sensor. I would guess I'm making around 40, but not sure until I buy a sensor.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Turbo kit is sold.

Reactions: Heavy_GD
1 - 6 of 6 Posts