Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would it take?

Looking for another "work truck" but want an xlt or lariat. I want to get a landscape body/dump body or something put on the back like they do for the landscapers on the F550 chassis bodies you buy from ford. I dont want an 08 or new vehicle.

I see tons of dually 05-07s out there dirt cheap now because the regular joes like us, dont want to pay the fuel cost to drive back and forth to work with a dually F350 diesel anymore.

I want to take OFF the 8ft standard ford bed in the back. Can it just be fully UNbolted and lifted off?

I then want to have a company like Dejana or Heil install i guess an 8-10ft dump body or something on the back. Im guessing the top "debris sheild" that is on the top/front of a dump truck body can still come down on top but not touching the crew cab portion of the truck since F550s have them all the time.

The rear axle on an f450/550 is like 12-13,900lbs. the F350 dually is somewhere around 9k. Could you just add 1-2 leafs in the rear like the F550s have? i think the tires may need to be upgraded to those 19.5s that the 550s come with usually too to handle the xtra weight.

Of course we wouldnt always be pressing the weight limit of the rear. But even a 10' body adding ~2000lbs im sure of weight with hydraulics and such plus payload gets heavy.

Anyone know what the stock 8 footer box in the back weighs?

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
You may have to find a cab & chassis truck for one of those beds to work.

The rear frames our different on the cab and chassis trucks.

If you notice, most super dutys have a curve, or bow in the rear frame

Cab & chassis truck's do not. There rear frame is fully flat. There for making it easier to mount a utility bed of some sort.

To mount one on a regular truck you'd got to get the bed specially made to work with the bow/curve/whatever ya wanna call it in the frame.

I doubt a dump bed would work on a regular truck. Cab & chassis truck only i'd say.

Also, cab & chassis trucks have a longer rear frame as well, to accommodate utility beds.

I'd say your best bet would be to find a cab & chassis truck

Can i ask why you dont just get a F450, or F550?

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd say your best bet would be to find a cab & chassis truck

Can i ask why you dont just get a F450, or F550?
coal, thanks for your info there, it helps a ton.

While not in dire need of a truck tomorrow, i have been looking into one of them for months and months now. A new fully decked out 08 F550 crew cab lariat or xlt is just south of 60k. PLUS the body, a 12' landscape of nearly 10k i think.

Ive seen used ones, and theyre beat to @#% and back and theyre only 2 years old :/

I do NOT want an 08, terrible milage etc, dont need it BRAND new ya know.

I am picky, i do NOT want an XL stripper truck. I wont spend 30-50k and have No power windows, no power locks, and i want keyless entry as most vehicles have since 1992+ lol.

95% of F550s out there, new/used etc are all XLs. The used ones are dirty, nasty inside, broken, dented and so on.

You can pickup some nearly mint condition 05-07 Dually F350s that were personal trucks that guys just dont want to run diesel through anymore. Theyre very cheap now, most are on ebay for 5-10k under kbb value.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
I understand.

Most f550's are pretty beat up, but i'm seen quite a few around here for sale there are in excellent shape.

I've also seen f350 cab & chassis trucks with all the XLT options. Power Everything, and even have seen a couple with leather seats.

Same goes for f450's & f550's.

You might check with that bed company, maybe they can custom make you a dump-bed to fit a regular 350:thumb:

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
where you located anyways?

If your anywhere close to NC, i'll be glad to look for you one here if you want. Or if you dont mind driving this far for a truck.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Hmmm... a King Ranch dump truck.

Now, that's working with style!

·
Registered
1,933 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

lol that is funny. Ive seen those body dump kits and the dump inserts for inside the bed... problem is in my line of work, carrying 2-3 yards just isnt enough unless your picking up 2-3 yards of sand or stone and it would weigh too much in a 10 yard box in the back anyway.

Most of those dump kits only lift a certain amount anyway and wouldnt take 3-4 thousand pounds or more. I considered a $3500 dump insert for my srw f350... after seeing the capacity, realizing id loose any functionality of the pickup as a pickup, loosing the rear tailgate of the stock truck, adding 800lbs of weight all the time.... i got the 14' 14k dump trailer, it works great... except when you need the loader or machines with you AND full loads of mulch, soil or sand and stone etc. A 550 would carry both with a trailer behind it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts