Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 F-250 6.0 PS CC SB< Lariat...it has anout 93,500K< i am either going to trade it for a 6.4 or 6.7< or i have been kicking around putting about 5Gs in the truck and take care of the problems or what could go wrong.. is there anyone who has done this and regreted it< i love the truck and the 6.0 but it has had its fair share of shop time... whats everybody thoughts
thanks guys

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
I went through the EXACT same ordeal you are going through. It was SOOOO concerning to me about whether all the problems could even be identified, much less fixed, so I was in the same kind of predicament. I love my truck and since I didn't want to start over, I finally decided to address the issues and besides, it would be cheaper in the long run.

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
Yep. All the issues and cures for the 6.0 are pretty well known and documented. Once taken care of the 6.0 is as dependable or more than any thing else you might replace it with.

·
Registered
559 Posts
if i had the money i go get a 6.4 just because there one of the fastest lightly mod trucks hell they have 210 tow tune thats nuts. i trade in 6 slow for 6.4 in a heart beat

·
Registered
933 Posts
dont forget, when all the tree huggers start getting their way the 08+ trucks are going to be slapped with emissions, 6.0 is the last decent diesel that ford put out that you can get to run like a diesel should

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'd take the $5,000 and bullet proof the motor. Anything else you buy used may have as many problems as you have now and you won't have any $$ left to fix it...

·
Registered
127 Posts
My thought is that you would get raped on the trade-in value of the 6.0 and then pay financing fees on the new one on top of that. (unless you get good trade in value, and have cash for your new one) You could easily spend $10k or better just to get out of the 6.0.

IMO I would spend $3-4k to bulletproof the snot out of the 6.0 and never have to worry about it again.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
dont forget, when all the tree huggers start getting their way the 08+ trucks are going to be slapped with emissions, 6.0 is the last decent diesel that ford put out that you can get to run like a diesel should
True that. Thats why I bought my 6.0, especially living in Ca its easier to get away with modding a 6.0 vs a 6.4, even though 6.4's make crazy power.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I bought the 6.0 over the 6.4 in my opinion it is the better motor. As for the 6.7 my dad just picked one up but he has had problems already and it doesn't even have 5K on it yet. He has blown the PS hose and the tow truck from ford said he has seen it a lot. They also have just started to work out the transmission shifting issues. Stay away from the 6.7l for a couple years until all the issues are known at least.

·
Premium Member
3,814 Posts
Spend the 5 grand...the new front ends are just too damn ugly i dont care whats under the hood...

Jason
:thumb: A man after my own heart.

I was looking to buy a 6.0 knowing what could go wrong. If you have the money plan to tear it down and bullet proof it. If you don't have the money start saving a little at a time. I believe that while these engines have bad reputations they are not pure junk. I love my truck enough that I can put up with the mechanical issues, especially when I hear Duramax and Cummins guys having similar problems.:icon_ford:

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Build the 6.0 and keep it :thumb:

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I'll give another vote for bulletproofing the 6.0 :bump: From the experiences I've personally seen with friends and their 6.4s, the 6.0 is a better motor once the well known issues are fixed.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Keep your 6.0 man I recently went through the same situation and I ended up dropping the 4 grand to get everything bullet proofed and glad that I did. You are going to end up spending a lot more money in the long run on a new truck.

·
Registered
412 Posts
i bought my 06 f250 last month with 40,467 on the clock, truck was rarely used I can tell, and the guy changed the oil every 5K and FF every 8K, as documented by the carfax. So Far I added the Amsoil/Nuc Bypass Kit, Dieselsite coolant filter kit, Changed every fluid in the truck to amsoil, from oil to brake etc. and i flushed the gold coolant out yesterday till rotella ELC. I have edge insight cts and my ECT and EOT are always within 5 degrees of each other, the truck has 42,456 on it now. I think im gunna be good for a long time. I am going to change the EGR cooler to the BPD one tho, add a SCT Tuner as well. I think my factory oil cooler is good now for a long time, Im hoping I saved it this early by switching to ELC. I dont regret one bit, I Love the 6.0, its ashame so many ppl bash the motor, is it more problamatic out of the box compared to Duramax and cummins....yes but thank ford for causing a majority of the problems. I plan on getting an upgraded FICM for the future. Got a boat show coming up in tobay beach in long island next week, so will see how my EOT and ECT react under a load. The most ive seen on my delta was about 192 ECT and 197 EOT @ 70Mph for about an Hour driving on the L.I.E I-495 I think im good for now. I couldve goten the 6.4 with 32k on the clock but opted for a 6.0. I dont regret it at all so far, and dont think i will

·
Registered
325 Posts
Fix the issues when they come.

I wouldnt get a 6.4 if it came with Pamela Anderson in the back. Every damn week were doing a cab off for a blown motor in those with 70-130K miles on it. The 6.0's seem to be stupid little things. We got 6.4 King Ranch in now that threw a rod through the block. New engine and work=13k dollars, plus the guy has payments yet, plus this is the 2nd time its had its cab off cause the newer looking cab bolts.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I bulletproofed mine with the BPD Fully bulletproof kit and am happy so far, like other's have said if you trade in your 6.0 that you at least already know most of the history on for another vehicle that you know almost nothing about you could potentially be worse off in the long run. That is one of the main reasons why I ignored my friends who were constantly berating me too trade her in on a 6.4L.

·
Premium Member
4,434 Posts
Id say if you can afford to buy new then do it, the 6.7s are monsters! BUT realize the only way your going to have a bulletproof truck is to address the issues. You can spend the money to bulletproof yours, or you can spend the money in the future to repair or bulletproof your new truck.... they all will have their issues. My 6.0 has run awesome, no compliants. I am months from runnning out of 5 yr warranty, and I plan to bullet proof it as you mentioned... upgrade too! going to cost a bit more then $5 Gs probably... good luck

1 - 19 of 19 Posts