Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I was wondering if you guys could recommend me any books on biodiesel refining methods? Like a how too (WVO to biodiesel), step by step processing, and any general information about biodiesel. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
i actualyl recommend sites and forums. they are more likely up to date. check our biodeisel infopop site, as well as utahbiodieselsupply.com, they have great vids and information as well as links to books. also try out the 2 liter test batch method. this site has tons of info.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I have a very good (basic) step by step writeup I found somewhere on the Internet I can give you. I did not write it so I don't feel right passing it out publicly without permission from the owner. PM me and Ill get it to you.

utahbio has very good howto videos and also check out http://www.biodieselcommunity.org/gettingstarted/

take it from a retired Bio guy, DRY WASH!! dont mess with water washing. I used purolite and had good results. My buddy uses ecopure and has very good results also.

Use the 5% prewash. It makes much cleaner Bio.

Also start small and work up. you will make a few batches of peanutbutter snott :)

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
hmmm i guess their site is down for now.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have a very good (basic) step by step writeup I found somewhere on the Internet I can give you. I did not write it so I don't feel right passing it out publicly without permission from the owner. PM me and Ill get it to you.

utahbio has very good howto videos and also check out http://www.biodieselcommunity.org/gettingstarted/

take it from a retired Bio guy, DRY WASH!! dont mess with water washing. I used purolite and had good results. My buddy uses ecopure and has very good results also.

Use the 5% prewash. It makes much cleaner Bio.

Also start small and work up. you will make a few batches of peanutbutter snott :)
I have to agree, DRY WASH is the way to go. I've been using Purolite for a year and it is both faster and easier. I never did think of combining a prewash with dry washing though. I don't want to hijack this thread, but how long do you need to settle the mix to get enough water out to run the bio through the purolite? Without the prewash, I wait about 8 hrs.

·
Registered
206 Posts
One other suggestion. JourneyToForever.org They have step by step instructions for at least 3 different methods of making bio.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I have to agree, DRY WASH is the way to go. I've been using Purolite for a year and it is both faster and easier. I never did think of combining a prewash with dry washing though. I don't want to hijack this thread, but how long do you need to settle the mix to get enough water out to run the bio through the purolite? Without the prewash, I wait about 8 hrs.
I would send my bio to a stand pipe tank and let it sit for as long as I could. 24 hours to settle out the glycerine and water from the prewash is enough. But the longer it has to settle the more junk will fall out and your resin will last longer. In my case I had 4 settling barrels so I would let the batch sit for 1 to 4 weeks depending on how fast I needed fuel.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys I recognized a few of the sites mentioned and there are some I don't. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Scagman,

I agree with RN, follow forums all over the world. Don't pay for manuals, Cd's, concept of proccesors or what ever. You can find the same info on the internet.

But only when you make a good researche!

So when you start with journeytoforever, you will find out a start of the principals, but for real fine processing, its crap.

Even I found out about drywashing, its a well organised marketingtrick trying to polish bad produced biodiesel.

If you follow that way, you mis the part of the ecology.

Try every method of making biodiesel, 1, 2, and 3 stage procceses, and find out what is the best way to proces your feedstock. And test it with the 3/27 test of Jan Warnqist to check your conversionrate.

But first of all, proces your feedstock to the best of all. Get rid of all the dirt by washing and drying.

Garbidge in= garbidge out!

Greetz, Cp

1 - 11 of 11 Posts