Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
BurninRubber&BlowinSmoke
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why would my truck smoke like this?? It looks blueish grey in person. BTW I just had ARPs, Black Onyx, Coolant filter, FICM, CCV mod, 6.4 Banjos, Blue spring, oil cooler and a few other items installed.

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
so many people post about this and worry. If you loose zero coolant, then it aint coolant.... if you loose zero oil, then it aint oil.... So its unburnt fuel.... One of three things, or a combination of.... an injector is not working 100% correct, or your fuel additive is not completely burning, or your tune is slightly overfueling at idle... none of those are really a big deal, so quite worrying. Now if your loosing coolant or oil, thats a problem. If your running a tune, trying return to stock, if your using additive, try a tank without, if a injector is sticking, you could try rev-x, i dont use it, but people said they have had good luck... just drive her

·
BurninRubber&BlowinSmoke
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I understand where you're comin from. It's just annoying/embarrassing to fog up a stoplight or parking lot.

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
Mine was similar to that when my journal bearings were going out on my turbo. It also smelled like fuel. I left it alone until it started to leak drops of oil when under higher levels of boost. (I noticed it was spraying down my 5th wheel with oil.) Just keep an eye on it for now, but you might start saving for a turbo.

·
BurninRubber&BlowinSmoke
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So you think it's close to goin out? Can I expect any issues to come along with this? So far it's driving just fine, besides the chitty lookin smoke.

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
No, I have no way of knowing, but that's what mine ended up being. Mine also came with a noticeable loss of power, despite maintaining adequate amounts of boost pressure. It was most noticeable when towing (when you need the extra power to pull the hills). It would tend to fog out the surrounding cars when stopped at a stoplight, but like yours would go away under any throttle pressure.

·
BurninRubber&BlowinSmoke
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah my bad, dumb question. Lol. Thanks for the input though!

·
Premium Member
31,729 Posts
Im betting it only does it when cold right?

·
BurninRubber&BlowinSmoke
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nah I wish. It does it after it's been running for about 5-10 mins. And it doesn't stop (that I've noticed). The smoke clears up above around 1000-1100 rpm.

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
You thinking FICM Dave? That was my thought but unless it is really bad I would expect it to go away when warm and be worse when cold.

I am leaning towards a fueling issue, but Shawn could be right too.

Does it smell like fuel?. Pull the intake tube from the turbo and check the shaft for play.

·
BurninRubber&BlowinSmoke
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok so to make matters worse my truck died while cruising down the road today. I was only goin about 30 and it just randomly died. Now it wont start up. Im supposed to be borrowing a friends snapon scanner this weekend to see if itll pull anything useful up. Wonder whats goin on??

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
does it turn over? with those symptoms and now a no start, id bet the bank you lost an injector.... it happens

·
BurninRubber&BlowinSmoke
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It cranks and cranks but never fires. Whats the best way to test injectors out?? Cylinder balance? Buzz test??

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
take to dealer, pay the 1 hour labor fee, they will run the test and tell you what injectors need replacing. For what its worth, when i lost 2 injectors, parts and labor on the receipt was about $3400, under warranty of course. If i had to pay out of pocket im sure it would of been cheaper, thats just what the receipt shows

·
BurninRubber&BlowinSmoke
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bump. I couldnt get the scanner this weekend and haven't had the truck to check it out. (it's at my uncles) What should I be expecting from this? As far as "normal" codes for my type of issue?

·
Premium Member
31,729 Posts
You thinking FICM Dave? That was my thought but unless it is really bad I would expect it to go away when warm and be worse when cold.

I am leaning towards a fueling issue, but Shawn could be right too.

Does it smell like fuel?. Pull the intake tube from the turbo and check the shaft for play.
Ok so to make matters worse my truck died while cruising down the road today. I was only goin about 30 and it just randomly died. Now it wont start up. Im supposed to be borrowing a friends snapon scanner this weekend to see if itll pull anything useful up. Wonder whats goin on??
Pull codes Im betting you see P0611 or several injector codes. Your FICM is out.

·
Premium Member
31,729 Posts
I agree with Dave. Sounds like your Ficm just let the smoke out.

FWIW my truck smokes like that when its cold. It clears up after ~ 2 min of running though.
Add some Rev X to your truck.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts