Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum, Fords, and diesels. Problems with my last Chevy sent me over the edge. I just bought a 04’ (10/03 date code), 6 speed manual, 4x4, Regular Cab-long box, PSD, 79,000. I checked the Oasis and it had the Fuel pump, FCIM, Injectors, and a new EGR at 60,000. I thought this was positive and got a great deal. I really like the truck, but after reading through some of the forums, I am ready to sell it after a month. Does anyone have stories about high mileage 6.0 that have been problem free and sweet running? I want to hear.

·
Registered
277 Posts
when your warranty is over,just delete your egr,and get studs installed and you will have no regrets.

·
Super Moderator
13,237 Posts
i have a late 03 build, 04 model truck, been through a few turbos, EGR valves, EBP sensors, But still love my truck. they are a good truck, just dont beat up on it. i feel that if you take care of it, it will take care of you. i have never been stranded with this truck, been back and forth from idaho to souther oregon several times, back and forth from idaho to Utah too. never any issues on any long trip. also, all of my issues were in stock trim. no mods at all when it was having turbo issues. im now tuned, and have a 4'' exhaust, no cat, and no problems..

·
Registered
597 Posts
Studs, EGR Delete, good tuning and coolant filter kit will make the 6.0 extremely reliable. The tranny and rest of driveline are almost bulletproof. Depends on how you drive it also. If you let it idle too much, or baby it all the time, it will soot up and foul up the injectors. You need to keep a good fuel additive to keep the injectors happy. Overall if you do a few mods, and keep good maintenance schedule, you should be fine. The lower end on the 6.0 is almost bullet proof. The main ares of issues are. Head Gaskets, EGR Sytem, Injectors, and some turbo issues.

·
Registered
162 Posts
the 6.0 is a great engine but it is very very picky!!!! i have a 05 250 supercab 4x4 long bed w/6 speed and almost 83000 on it. the truck has never seen the shop for anything!!!! and i get 18-20mpg mix highway and city. my mods true flow xdi intake, custom fab 4'' straight pipe no cat or muff, sct tuner only canned tunes for now, amsoil bypass oil filtration (must have for injector life). i have learned is that the 6.0 likes extreamly clean fuel and oil. i always run stanadyne performance in every fuel fill up. the problem lies with our injectors. the 6.0 was designed to run on low sulfur diesel (500ppm sulfur) to keep the injectors lubed up. now that all we can only get altra low sulfur(50ppm) our injectors are trying to run with no lube, thus wearing out fuel side. the stanadyne lubes injectors and also makes the truck run cleaner witch helps the turbo and egr system, the cleaner the engine the more fuel efficient and the longer it will run. the oil side of the injector is the most poblamatic, and it come for dirty oil, or sooted up oil. the 6.0 does not like dirty oil, before i put on the bypass kit i coould tell how dirty my oil was getting by how the truck ran and how my fuel milage was. i have been a dealer for amsoil and decided to put on there bypass kit and problem solved, no more dirty oil. the injectors have a spool valve on the oil side and thats what goes bad. the last thing is the heat isue. the colder you can get the air coming in and the faster you can get the air out the lower your egts will be. heat the main 6.0 killer. i am very picky with my 6.0 and i need it to run as long as possible. if you have any questions feel free to ask or pm me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts