Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking at another OBS Dually, and after i found out 4x4 was only a custom option with the DRW, i'd like to know if anyone has done any custom conversions, what all is involved, etc if i decide i cant live without it. thanks

:thumb:

·
Registered
368 Posts
im looking at another OBS Dually, and after i found out 4x4 was only a custom option with the DRW, i'd like to know if anyone has done any custom conversions, what all is involved, etc if i decide i cant live without it. thanks

:thumb:
Haha, All I have to say is you're a lot smarter than me. I found a dually and converted it to 4wd instead of finding a 4wd and making it a dually. I dont have a write up but I can answer any questions. For some reason people think converting to a dually is a huge pain, when its a really simple swap.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
To do it properly, start with a 350 SRW, swap the bed and rear axle. Bolt on some spacers for the front axle and new wheels.

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
make sure its a long bed, there are people who wanna convert their dually to srw like gabe on here, so finding a dually axle and bed would be pretty easy, and the spacer can be found not to hard for the swap as well, but you can find f350 dually 4x4's they just arent as common as srw 4x4

·
Registered
31 Posts
i know how your feeling, This wed im putting new brakes on my dually axle that im throwing under my 97 quadcab shortbox 4x4 :) :) :) i started up a build thread some where on here. ill keep you posted on my progress.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha, All I have to say is you're a lot smarter than me. I found a dually and converted it to 4wd instead of finding a 4wd and making it a dually. I dont have a write up but I can answer any questions. For some reason people think converting to a dually is a huge pain, when its a really simple swap.
you give me too much credit.... lol.... thats actually what i meant.... im looking at a dually, and was looking for a writeup on the 4x4 conversion. Logic tells me theres a D60 and a divorced Tcase involved, just figured id check out some been there done that pics.

FWIW, im here to stay!!!!!! rode up to look at it yesterday, seller turned out to be a really cool guy who had already offered to let me crash on his couch, so i bought the truck, crashed there, loaded up the bike in the back and drove home today.

:icon_ford:

Anyway, So yeah, i may not convert to 4x4, it will mainly be a towing rig and hopefully wont see anymore snow once i get back down to TX.

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,738 Posts
Not a bad looking truck.

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
Nice truck, I'm diggen the roof thing, yeah its easier to go dually from 4x4 than go 4x4 from dually, I'm told the front of the frame is boxed on the 4x4 and c channel on the 4x2's but I'm gonna be getting rid of my ttb Dana 50 soon, easiest way I think for you would be find a tranny with t case instead of divorced t case, and a Dana 60 plus drive shafts. Gotta mount your trac bar and everything, just look for a sas thread on a 250 should show you bout everything your gonna need

·
Registered
368 Posts
Id love to get rid of my D50 Ugh...When I converted it, my buddy at the junk yard said he had a 4x4 truck for me. So I ripped everything off my truck and started putting it all on then went to go pick up the axle and found out it was a D50 and not 60. I was annoyed thoroughly. And Im with 351, Id just find a new tranny with a tcase. It will save you a lot of trouble in the long run.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts