Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my instructors from school had purchased a '92 F-350 dually 7.3 with an aftermarket Banks Sidewinder turbo. The engine/truck is pretty clean, but it runs like it has a radical camshaft. After he did some investigating, he found he has a dead cylinder & wants to yank the engine & drop in a temporary donor engine in it. He looked on Craig's List & found a guy who had a running 7.3 IDI for sale in a neighboring town. I went down with him today & checked the engine out. It looks like it's in pretty rough shape & one difference I noticed is this engine has v-belts instead of a serp belt. Now, that has me wondering; is there anything on this '89 IDI's engine that isn't compatible with the '92 F-350 besides the accesory drive? Anything that needs to be modified or changed? Any other secrets I need to know about? I just want to make 100% sure considering my instructor had already shelled out the money for the engine. Can anyone give some info?

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
They are the exact same motors. If you want you can swap the serpentine setup onto the donor motor. Everything will swap over.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are the exact same motors. If you want you can swap the serpentine setup onto the donor motor. Everything will swap over.
That's what I was hoping to hear! Thanks FordGuy! He had already paid for the motor before I could post anything up. The guy he bought it from claims the engine was running before they decided they wanted to part it out & send the carcass to the heap. We just brought the engine back to my instructor's house today & we turned it over with a breaker bar & it turns easy & sounds like the pistons are making compression, so that's a good sign. We just need to address some leak issues, get it cleaned up, & it'll be a great donor engine.:thumb:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts