Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is an odd place to ask this question, but does anyone have any technical knowledge of the chevy/gmc 6.5L turbo-diesel? A guy I work with has one that dies randomly and it's getting depressing watching him fret over it. Already tried replacing the PDM.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Need more info, model year, bio fuel? if so what %, yes it matters, there is an optical sensor in the DB pump-needs clear fuel. need codes, 93-95 can be done with a jumper, 96+ need a scan tool

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a '98. Says no codes come up (no eng. light), and he's not running any biofuels.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
when does it die? getting on it? idle? etc.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There doesn't seem to be a pattern. mostly does it before its warmed up. And its a sudden thing too. A quick shut down like someone turned the key off.

·
Registered
957 Posts
If he can scan for codes, can he look at data? need to monitor FPW, see if it drops out when it stalls, if it do, it's most likely the driver module, seen them bad right out of the box, most are made in china now

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
there is a little black box on the side of the injection pump its called a PMD... known for going out.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He's tried plugging in a new PMD, it does the same thing. Those can really be bad from the factory? How would he determine if the ECM is still good?

·
Registered
957 Posts
He's tried plugging in a new PMD, it does the same thing. Those can really be bad from the factory? How would he determine if the ECM is still good?

Yes as of late when you buy a PMD from ac delco and open the box, a little tag with chicken scratch falls out. these are now made in china and they are garbage. it could be any number of things causing it to stall. generally a PMD failure happens when hot.

a scan tool with graphing capabilities to capture an intermittent like this-no codes, is very helpful, otherwise you are just guessing what miracle goes away.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I'll have to see if he can get a scan tool advanced enough to look into anything deeper.

Thanks for the link cliford.

He told me today he was going to try replacing the crankshaft sensor. How common are those to go out?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what are some critical values to watch for on the scanner?

·
Hate stupid people
8,536 Posts
don't know much about he 6.5's (yet) but myself and a buddy of mine (diesel tech) we are going to build up his stock 95 6.5 turbo to become a strictly sled pull truck....we are hoping by next pulling season to be able to either generate 350-400hp.....or just DUMP the smoke at the line

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
^^^^ haha good luck........ i had a 93 so it was mechanical..... same as the 12v's you can get more out of the mechanicals since you can adjust it the way you want......

i had 4 engines in that truck....a couple turbo's....tranny....... haha its just not worth it....we built the last one from scratch... turned the fuel way up and did way to aggressive timing...... we messed one's timing up and snapped a crank in 2 blew the bottom of the engine out......:doh: :woot:

ohhhh and too the OP....... its gotta be the PMD..... take it back to the dealer and b!tch at them.... tell them to get some american parts......

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ohhhh and too the OP....... its gotta be the PMD..... take it back to the dealer and b!tch at them.... tell them to get some american parts......[/QUOTE]

Sounds like that's the biggest kink in the system. Anything else prone to failure? I'll tell him to try ANOTHER tho.

Thanks for the help guys:thumb:

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
the whole engine is probe to failure........ the webs are too thin and crack ......

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok then, what if i asked for electrical problem areas, other than the previously mentioned PMD?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Ya, these things were pretty bad. my first job after tech school was for a fleet that had seventy five of these, 92' to 96. Then they started buying super duties, hehehehe! I'm pretty sure I replaced all the cylinder heads on the early ones at least once, I used to chase the efi's all over the northwest to install PMD's. I still have a few bad PMD's around my house that made it home in my pockets, lol.

I have the 6.5 EFI bible somewhere in my book collection at the shop. I'll look for it. I can scan some pert. diag. info, convert it to PDF, and email to you, let me know.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ya, these things were pretty bad. my first job after tech school was for a fleet that had seventy five of these, 92' to 96. Then they started buying super duties, hehehehe! I'm pretty sure I replaced all the cylinder heads on the early ones at least once, I used to chase the efi's all over the northwest to install PMD's. I still have a few bad PMD's around my house that made it home in my pockets, lol.

I have the 6.5 EFI bible somewhere in my book collection at the shop. I'll look for it. I can scan some pert. diag. info, convert it to PDF, and email to you, let me know.
That would be awesome!!:thumb: If you can send that to me, It'll certainly help! I don't think this guy has ever owned a diesel truck, and I don't want this chevy to put a bad taste in his mouth... he may wanna buy a Powerstroke someday!:icon_ford:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts