Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my 2013 6.7, I do a lot of towing both gooseneck and bumper pull. I've installed airbags in the rear and a front leveling kit with add-a-leafs in the rear. I'm stilling running the stock Rancho shocks. I have increased my tire size to ~35" BFG A/T tires. The truck seems to ride like a box wagon when there's no trailer behind. Will new shocks help me or am I going to have to deal with it. Also the new leaf springs make a squeak/creaking sound over the smallest bumps. Any way to fix this? Any suggestions are appreciated.

· Premium Member
2,357 Posts
With my 2013 6.7, I do a lot of towing both gooseneck and bumper pull. I've installed airbags in the rear and a front leveling kit with add-a-leafs in the rear. I'm stilling running the stock Rancho shocks. I have increased my tire size to ~35" BFG A/T tires. The truck seems to ride like a box wagon when there's no trailer behind. Will new shocks help me or am I going to have to deal with it. Also the new leaf springs make a squeak/creaking sound over the smallest bumps. Any way to fix this? Any suggestions are appreciated.
These trucks already ride pretty rough in stock form and everything that you have added will only make it worse. Currently your shocks are to short for your lift height and most likely "topping out" when the suspension tries to unload. The add a leaf stiffened up the already stiff leafs and then the air bags made it even stiffer (even when nearly empty). So at this point the suspension is barely moving so I doubt that you will see big ride gains with just a shock change.

Like others have pointed out I would start with removing the add a leaf and replacing it with either a progressive add a pack or an F350 block. Then get appropriate length shocks like Bilstein 5100's or something tuner better like the Carli Commuter shocks. Assuming that your "level kit" is just a set of spacers you might want to consider getting better replacement coils.

And like Jeremy asked, what are you running for tire pressure?

And a word of warning. I generally don't trust most larger BFG's on these trucks when they are running empty much less towing big goosenecks.

· Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm running a little over 50 psi in the tires now. I do agree that the BFGs are not the softest riding. I had them on my 6.0. I guess I still like the way they look. The add-a-leaf is actually a leaf replaced with a stiffer one. As far as the leveling kit in the front, the installer was having trouble finding the exact fit for the truck. After looking underneath I took some pics to show what I've got. On my 6.0 I did the leveling kit myself and it had a thicker bumper on top of the spring. What I have now looks to be a block below the spring. Please let me know if this is correct. The kit was put on about a year ago. Also I attached a picture of the truck after the front leveling kit. I didn't think it should have raised up so much. Any help is appreciated.

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/me...pension-17353-picture71601-leveling-block.jpg
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/me...pension-17353-picture71593-leveling-block.jpg
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/me...7353-picture71609-before-rear-leaf-spring.jpg

· Registered
8,907 Posts
Also looks like you need an adjustable track bar.

Reactions: Skyd Ram

· Premium Member
4,481 Posts
Add a leaf, airbsgs, and rancho. My friend you have the combination of the worst of the worst. It only gets better. I've experimented with many combos and best ride and towing is custom rear leafs with overload spring on top to engauge the frame pads. All good advice n here, it only gets better then what you have now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.