Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everybody, Just joined the community and i have a 2004 F-250 FX4 with a Ruptured oil cooler.The Truck Also has a XDP Coolant Filtration System. I'm Hoping to make a purchase for a oem motorcraft oil cooler soon, Does Anybody Have Any Input on what Other Upgrades to add to the truck. I am not looking to make this into a race truck, just a reliable daily driver/Weekender/Tow a Fifth Wheel Once In A Blue Moon Type Truck.
Would It Be Worth Fixing or Selling for a old 98 5.9 cummins. If Any One Can Chime In, I definitely appreciate it, Thanks, Stay Safe

·
Registered
134 Posts
I used to drive my '07 CC LWB King Ranch f350 Dually into Atlanta commuter traffic daily (prior to this COVID stuff). It's been bulletproofed and runs like a top.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
134 Posts
Nice! Do you mind me asking what upgrades you got going on your 07?? Any Recommendations?
Head studs
Decked heads/block
Fire ringed heads
Upgraded OEM oil cooler
Coolant bypass filter (mine is a Mishimoto)
Blue Spring upgrade
EGR fix
Updated push rods
Injector rebuild
Rebuilt Turbo
There is probably more, but that's all that comes to mind right now for the engine.

The usual suspension stuff..
TRE's, U-joints, Hubs, Ball Joints, Axle seals, etc.

My truck only has 180k so I haven't done a radiator or intercooler yet.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I would say get an ELM-327 adaptor and torque app on your phone to monitor you numbers. This will check fluid temps ( specially coolant/oil delta), battery voltage, FICM voltage, boost level, oil pressure etc... lets you see any codes basically what the computer sees you see. Make sure they are proper. Also check the pressure you are building in your coolant when running, i'd give you the max number you should see but i've since forgotten. Site is pretty good, a good search will give you level and what is needed to test. Check the fuel pressure you have while driving, not just idle, again you'd have to look it up as i've forgotten once i checked it. Once you test good, i think its break/fix after that.

I initially checked all of these when i first bought my truck. Some of these items need to be checked as its domino affect once they start going bad, and not cheap. I had a bad oil cooler when i went through the testing above, ended up doing BPD air to oil cooler, filter, EGR cooler with 7.3 fan mod. Its a little pricey but saved some money doing it my self, just took some time. Stock other than that. Owned it for 2 years, lately i noticed my voltage is low while driving... i upgraded ground and positive cables and it looks to have fixed it. (It's a very long story...)

Not my daily driver, its intended use was to pull a camper on the weekends with a few days here and there to work to keep it going. About 15k miles in almost 2 years, no camper yet.. 1 camping trip and about 3 or 4 500mile round trips, have had no issues with it. I really think if you watch your numbers you'll see most issue start to creep up before they become an issue.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Why don't you tell us what you have and what you've done with it already? That might help us to know what to recommend.

Are you mostly stock? Studded/deleted?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate you guys chiming in, i'll get all the help i can get. My Truck Is Mostly Stock, What i have added to it is a XDP Coolant Filtration System, Deleted the EGR, New CAC Boots from riff raff diesel and a 4 inch straight pipe. Recently my oil cooler ruptured so i have been researching on what is the best replacement and everyone on on old posts says OEM or Bullet Proof diesel air to oil cooler.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I appreciate you guys chiming in, i'll get all the help i can get. My Truck Is Mostly Stock, What i have added to it is a XDP Coolant Filtration System, Deleted the EGR, New CAC Boots from riff raff diesel and a 4 inch straight pipe. Recently my oil cooler ruptured so i have been researching on what is the best replacement and everyone on on old posts says OEM or Bullet Proof diesel air to oil cooler.
Probably won't go wrong with either. Make sure you do a thorough coolant flush and refill with ELC coolant (not the Ford Gold stuff).

I would say do the Blue Spring upgrade for sure. Cheap insurance for your injectors.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Not an F250, but my F350 is my DD. Only 15 miles to work, but enough to get it warmed up and get some "spirited" runs in to keep the turbo free :D

OEM oil cooler or BPD would be the only two I would recommend. As for extras, get some sort of monitor, maybe upgrade your turbo drain tube and turbo oil feed line to the new styles while you're in there. I'd also break the turbo apart and give it a good cleaning as well while it's out. Then, put back together and get a good baseline on temps and how it performs! THEN, start the mods :D

-jokester

Reactions: 007matman

·
Old School
266 Posts
I daily drive my F250 110 miles round trip everyday to work and back.

Reactions: jokester00

·
Registered
7 Posts
Daily mine and 300 mile round trips a few times a year. No studs, it's deleted and no tune. Monitor it with a scangauge 2. New oil cooler last year with the motor craft replacement and did the hpop earlier this year. 04 f250 king ranch ccsb. Take care of it it will take care of you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts