Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going away for the weekend and was rushing today to get everything packed and ready. The truck had less than a 1/4 tank and I was going to run to the store tonight and fill up so I wouldnt have to in the morning. I knew i had a jug of dieselkleen in the garage that i hadnt used in the last few tanks so i thought i would put some in before i drive to fill up....like i always do.

I grabbed my jug from the garage and started to pour some in the tank. Didnt get much in before i realized the color was kinda off. I thought maybe the Dieselkleen went bad so i put it back in the garage and went to fill up. got a few kms down the road when the water in fuel message popped up. Figured it must have something to do with the bad dieselkleen i thought i put in so i hurried to the store and filled the tank and climbed under to drain the water. It wasnt untill i was laying under the truck draining the water that i realized i just poured used antifreeze in my tank.:banghead:

Im a heavy duty mechanic and i put all my used truck fluids back into any jug i can find then take them to work and throw it in our tank to get recycled. Apparently a few months ago when i did a coolant flush and installed my coolant filter i put some antifreeze in this dieselkleen jug but since it was only about a quarter full i figured i would keep it around untill it was full. Never thought to mark the jug:banghead:

Immediately after filling the tank i ran to the store and picked up some diesel kleen 911 and put that in the tank since it removes water. I then put about 75 kms on the truck running around town and never had the water in fuel like come on or any running problems. My question to you guys is do you think i am going to be okay or is there going to be some damage to my fuel system that wont show for a bit? Im worried about the injectors or maybe breaking down while im out of town this weekend. Thanks alot and sorry for the long message....let the harrasment begin:banghead:

·
Coal Rolling = Posing
9,871 Posts
I'd say if it's runnin now, then you caught it in time. 6.0's were finicky about things in the injectors, at least that's what I'm told. But, if you drained it off, and put a treatment in there right away, I think you'll be fine. I'd think it's be a pretty quick negative reaction from the motor, if there was gonna be any at all.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright thats what i needed to hear guys. While i was driving the truck around tonight i was listening very closely to the engine too make sure it was running like normal and it never did anything strange besides the water in fuel light coming on that first time. Actually its the first time its ever come on in my truck...atleast i know it works now and the fuel in my tank wont freeze:dunno:

Maybe while im out of town ill try to keep the tank topped up as to dilute anything that may be in the tank as much as possible and ill keep a bottle of gray diesel kleen(not the one with antifreeze in it) in the truck so i can keep adding it to the tank.

·
Coal Rolling = Posing
9,871 Posts
Well, as I'm sure you know, those cleanin agents aren't that nice to our injectors either. Yours like it even less than mine, and while you should use them, you should use them sparingly. I personally use maybe one treatment a month. Probably more like every other month.

If the truck didn't act up when the light came on, and you've treated your fuel once, and seriously dilluted the antifreeze by fillin the tank, then I'd try to keep it full for a few days, and forget about it. If the jug was only partly full, then you probably didn't get all that much in in the first place right?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, as I'm sure you know, those cleanin agents aren't that nice to our injectors either. Yours like it even less than mine, and while you should use them, you should use them sparingly. I personally use maybe one treatment a month. Probably more like every other month.

If the truck didn't act up when the light came on, and you've treated your fuel once, and seriously dilluted the antifreeze by fillin the tank, then I'd try to keep it full for a few days, and forget about it. If the jug was only partly full, then you probably didn't get all that much in in the first place right?
Ya the jug was only 1/4 full and i just got a splash in before i realized the color was sort of orange or yellow...like motorcraft gold coolant and not the color i remembered the diesel kleen being. Ill just try to keep the tank full and drive the truck and watch for any acting up from the engine. Thanks

·
scuffs *****
5,270 Posts
:tard::tard::tard::tard::tard::tard::tard::tard::tard::tard::tard:

·
Super Moderator
9,966 Posts
Doesn't sound that bad for what you poured in so just listen to the truck and keep the tank full.

·
Registered
35 Posts
This is what I learned after I got some bad fuel. Water is heavier than fuel so it will go to the bottom of the tank and get sucked thru the system pretty quickly. I would drive like you always do and drain the water separater every morning (if you get the water in fuel light while driving pull over ASAP and drain the water out) after a few days the water be gone. Then I would change the fuel filters run them for 1000 miles then change them again

·
Registered
2 Posts
I need help. I did this same thing. I accidentally put old antifreeze, about two pints, into my 2003 7.3 truck. I have a sump kit on it already, and my question is will the antifreeze settle to the sump area so I can just drain it off? I don't need to run the truck and I was filling it in my garage with some blended jet fuel and diesel? Thanks for the help in advance

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I need help. I did this same thing. I accidentally put old antifreeze, about two pints, into my 2003 7.3 truck. I have a sump kit on it already, and my question is will the antifreeze settle to the sump area so I can just drain it off? I don't need to run the truck and I was filling it in my garage with some blended jet fuel and diesel? Thanks for the help in advance
Like they said above, it'll separate out and go to the bottom. Let it sit for a while and pull the end of hose off and drain it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts