Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
No,no,no,,, That's not how it works....

You test the PCMs control by removing both sm wires from the relay and determine which one has 12v in it with the key ON. The wire that Does NOT is connected to the PCM and is what it uses to activate the GPs by supplying GROUND. Use a meter and connect one side of it to the battery (+) and the other to the PCMs wire. When cold, and it should be using the GPs, you should see 12v flowing through the meter (make sure it's in DC, test it first across the batteries terminals). Depending on how cold it is you should see that power there for from 30-120secs

Instead of "jumping" the relay, next time just ground the sm terminal on the GPR that the PCM wire was connected to (with the other, 12v, sm wire connected). You should feel/hear that relay throw and activate the plugs...

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
First you want to Know the relay activated by measuring the voltage on the large output terminal. Find 12v in the one connected to the battery and see, when cold, the other side has the same...

If not, try grounding the sm term that goes to the PCM (as I described above) to get it to "trip". Then see if it starts.

If so, here's my usual No Start List;

WTS Light? - do you get it when you first roll-on the key? (shows the computer is running)

Do you see cranking rpm on the Tach? Do you have a spare CPS to try?

Is there fuel in the fuel bowl now? Does it refill after cranking? (open the drain level to check)

Can you hear/feel the pump running (below the dr seat, against the framerail)

Could the fuel gauge be giving a bad reading? (Below 1/4 tank?)

Is your truck "chipped"? If so, remove it as a Test.

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
Oh,,, I'm afraid that's just not possible..... :(

You may find this creeps-up on you again. The Range Sensor (NSSW) is just a switch that prevents the starter from engaging if you're Not in P/N. It has no other Powers. If the Starter turns the engine over, it's roll in starting is Done. It simply can't do what you describe.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.