Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As you can see by my post count I am new here. I am looking into my first PSD purchase of a 2003 F-250 6.0 automatic. The truck has about 78K miles on the odometer and according to the current owner very well maintained, all scheduled maintenance performed.

In reading through the threads, I have learned what I need to check for, but the more I read the more concerned I become about the head gasket issue.

I went and got the Oasis report which shows that it has been in the shop for recalls and to recalibrate the control modules, that's good right? :dunno:

The truck was used for personal use and very light towing. It has just had the ball joints replaced, all shocks (Bilstein) hubs, bearings, axle seals, brakes, rotors, calipers, front / rear diff flushed and filled, trans & transfer case flushed and filled, new tires and batteries.

There hasn't been any concerns about the engine nor has it ever had any performance mods to it.

Sounds great, why the concern? :confused:

I will be using the truck to tow an 8000 camping trailer (and some personal use as well)

Am I looking at a ticking time bomb with head gaskets, or do the gasket failures occur mostly because of excessive boost (whether it be from load or mods) Do ALL 6.0's eventually require head gaskets?

Thanks, and great place!

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Don't worry. If it's as good as you make it out to be. You'll be just fine. It's hit or miss with a 6.0L. Mainly hits. few misses. good luck and welcome.

·
Registered
331 Posts
you will hear a lot of reasons why not to have the 03'6.0, we are kind of the low lifes,:wink[3]: around here but mine has 89,000 it has been a good truck.sounds like you have checked it out ,so go with your gut ,

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
dont no a whole lot bout 6.0s but it sounds like the owner is not cheep so he has done things that needed done so thats a plus in my eyes the way it sounds is it will be a decent truck

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
mine has 138k....engine still going strong (knock on wood). Needs some attention to detail, but thats because any truck with 140k mi is going to be a little worn

·
Premium Member
24,835 Posts
I'm a 6.0 guy. This is my 2nd, first one was modded with 117,000 miles on it with no problems. I hauled skid steers and backhoes and paving machines with it every day with no problems. These motors are hit and miss. It seems like you will have the problems in the first 30,000 miles if you have a bad one. With a good oasis report and 78,000 on the clicker you are probibly going to be ok. You are not going to be hauling heavey loads with it. But I agree with rotty go with your gut feeling on this. Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It does help and I appreciate the feedback. I have been reading a lot on this, and maybe I was just fixating on the negatives, but glad to hear that these can be good trucks too! Thanks again.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It does help and I appreciate the feedback. I have been reading a lot on this, and maybe I was just fixating on the negatives, but glad to hear that these can be good trucks too! Thanks again.
I'm new too. I found this forum after I put the money down on an '04 with 53,000 miles ...

Of course I started wondering what type of lemon I may be getting myself into. I got over it. Stopped fixating on all the NEGATIVE questions and posts.

Think of it this way, how many are going to write a post about how great their truck has been for 5 years and 100,000 miles. But the minute something goes wrong, the fingers start flying, it is human nature ...

After approx 3,000 miles in a few months, I love the truck. I got a good enough deal that I would have no regrets even if a major problem arose in the near future (head gasket, etc). I even found a good Ford dealer that went over the truck. Did an early 60K maintenance on it, solved my disappearing coolant problem in one visit (EGR valve). And it was warranty work without any hassles, just as it should be !

I don't know exactly how well my truck was maintained by the previous owner since I got it at a dealer. But it had an AFE intake and filter, Rancho shocks, a LINE-X bedliner, and a 5th wheel hitch. And after reading some posts about cruise control behavior with a performance tune, I'm thinking that might have been done at some time too ... :dunno:

My point is, you've done good research. A lot more than me, go with your gut and enjoy your new to you truck !

:thumb:

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
I'm new too. I found this forum after I put the money down on an '04 with 53,000 miles ...

Of course I started wondering what type of lemon I may be getting myself into. I got over it. Stopped fixating on all the NEGATIVE questions and posts.

Think of it this way, how many are going to write a post about how great their truck has been for 5 years and 100,000 miles. But the minute something goes wrong, the fingers start flying, it is human nature ...

After approx 3,000 miles in a few months, I love the truck. I got a good enough deal that I would have no regrets even if a major problem arose in the near future (head gasket, etc). I even found a good Ford dealer that went over the truck. Did an early 60K maintenance on it, solved my disappearing coolant problem in one visit (EGR valve). And it was warranty work without any hassles, just as it should be !

I don't know exactly how well my truck was maintained by the previous owner since I got it at a dealer. But it had an AFE intake and filter, Rancho shocks, a LINE-X bedliner, and a 5th wheel hitch. And after reading some posts about cruise control behavior with a performance tune, I'm thinking that might have been done at some time too ... :dunno:

My point is, you've done good research. A lot more than me, go with your gut and enjoy your new to you truck !

:thumb:
:agree::agree:

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great point!

Oh, where are my manners? What's a "what do you think" post without pictures. From what I can gather, the options it doesn't have is sun roof and clearance lights. It has the FX4 package with the decals removed.

·
Premium Member
19,112 Posts
Sounds like you have done your homework and these guys have given you some really good advice. Good luck and let us know how you finally make out on this. It's a buyer's market right now, so you'll be in a great position to negotiate!

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Don't worry. If it's as good as you make it out to be. You'll be just fine. It's hit or miss with a 6.0L. Mainly hits. few misses. good luck and welcome.
I think the CHICO man hit the nail on the head. I believe it really is hit or miss. I have 104,000 and no head warp, Stretch bolt, Gasket issues. I do agree with your statement, If you shove more boost into the cylinder you are more pron to problems. But so be it. You have taken all the right steps in purchasing this truck. If it's a good price. Buy it:thumb:

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
P.S. I tow allot. And am I firm believer in towing with No Tune or Tow Tune only.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Like others have said its hit or miss. Sure some have problems, but show me a truck that doesn't... you can not. The 6.0 is a good motor (under all that emissions crap!) and should last you a while. I would get an Oasis report on it personally, that will tell you any and everything that has been worked on for that truck. You came to the right place to get some info on the 6.0 though. It seems the only people who have bad things to say about 6.0's never had one, it's all word of mouth. Talk to some 6.0 owners and you'll see they're pretty good trucks. I still think the 5R110 tranny is one of the best available in these diesel trucks today. If you plan on towing a lot or even just a little, I would definitely look into an custom tuned SCT with tranny only tuning, or even a towing tune.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Also if you want we have an upstate NY chapter for diesel guys... check it out if you get a chance...

Upstate Bombers

·
Registered
331 Posts
looks like a clean ride,any electrical issues,?looks like someones been into the fuse box judging from the picture.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
looks like a clean ride,any electrical issues,?looks like someones been into the fuse box judging from the picture.
Where is the fuse box in this truck? I will be going to see the truck tomorrow, if you see something in the picture let me know and I will check on it. Thanks :thumb:

mdub707 said:
I would get an Oasis report on it personally, that will tell you any and everything that has been worked on for that truck.
I got one yesterday, it has only been to the dealer for recalls, there has not been any other warranty issues. The truck was special ordered and just came off the 5yr powertrain warranty.

Thank you for the feedback and info, it has helped quite a bit.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you all for the help. I went to see the F250 yesterday, took it for a test drive. There are no rattles, the front end is nice and tight engine is clean without any oil leaks, no evidence of oil in the coolant and new tires. There isn't any rust underneath the truck, and the bed has no dents. Except for a couple of holes in the seats it's in good shape.

Hopefully it will be home by the end of the week! Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
87 Posts
As my mechanic would say, If you plan to chip it or run a tuner, head studs first. Other than that, you should be OK. If the Carfax and Oasis comes back good, enjoy your new truck. I like my 03 6.0.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts