Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 450 was under extended mait, for the 1st 100k. When the oil change message came on it went to the dealer for whatever scheduled maint was then due. Seemed to be between 5000 and 7500 intervals. Is the oil change interval message something that is pre set and just pops up every XXXX miles or is the computer actually monitoring some types of operating conditions to determine when it lights up? Is this an end user parameter that can be set somewhere?

Somewhere around the 4th or 5th oil change caught the typewritter tick - took it back to dealer and they printed out the service bulletin saying it was normal and nothing to worry about, it went away after 1k or so and didnt come back until 2 changes later again stayed for 1k or so and went away.

So now going forward and being over 100k what oil should I be using and should I be adding something like Molly when its done? Vehicle is going to be used for heavy towing, hot weather highway miles. Live in south Florida so cold / winter is not really an issue.

Thanks for the education, I have really enjoyed this forum and learning about my powerstroke

·
Super Moderator
9,246 Posts
I'd experiment with different oils. My experiences show the tick is related to the oil. MC 10w30 I get no, if any at all tick even over the oil life.

Plenty of good reports with Extreme Blue, Rot T6, MC....just find one that you like the best.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,
What's that white stuff all over your avatar photo? :wink:

·
Super Moderator
9,246 Posts
It's a photographic editing feature that allows a person to make changes in the raw image. Quite a few people use it to enhance or remove certain parts of the captured raw image data.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I’ve used PBE and T6 with no tick. This last change I went to Motorcraft 10w-30 for fun and had the slightest tick after startup but it has since gone away (500 miles). It was hardly noticeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 5 of 5 Posts