Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, Bulletproof EGR cooler and new oil cooler and still seeing high oil temps. No idea what the hell is wrong. So I just decided to bring the truck home. It can sit here just as well as it can sit at the shop.

Okay, so I picked up the truck from the shop yesterday. Got 15 miles down the road, truck got hungry and ate the belt. Thought it might have been a bent or broken pulley or just a old belt (6 years, 85k miles.) Turns out the water pump pulley was loose. Hmmmm...call the mechanic, he says bring it in he'll put on a new belt. Done and done. $40 later I bring the truck home a second time.

It's about 95* outside 10 miles in, ECT 199-203 EOT 221 and climbing. Drive another 8 miles ECT 204 EOT 241.2* !!!!

Park in front of the house and let the truck idle. So here is a question, when the coolant flows back into the degas bottle, at idle is it a constant stream or is it like this?

Another oddity. I let the truck idle for about 10 minutes ECT dropped to 192* EOT dropped to 129.2*. I decided I'll just back it in the drive way and park it for the night. Figure it out tomorrow. The minute I hit the incline of the drive way EOT plummets to 217*.

WHAT THE HELL MAN?

·
Registered
823 Posts
Are you saying one-hundred degree temps

·
Registered
57 Posts
Could possibly have been a large pocket of air in the cooling system, is the system low?

·
Premium Member
3,814 Posts
I hope one of the Ford techs will chime in on this but that oil temp doesn't look real. Watching mine on my Insight from a stone cold start up it takes a while for the oil temp to match the coolant temp but from that point on it never drops more than a few degrees below the coolant temp and is usually 4-7 degrees above the coolant temp. With no load on the engine the coolant is heating the oil so it can't be 117*. Sounds to me like an oil temp sender is in order to start with...and a careful check of the wiring. Make sure one on the intake bolts with the studded end isn't chaffing the harness.

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Could possibly have been a large pocket of air in the cooling system, is the system low?
This is what I was told by another diesel shop, and that I just need to drive the truck and let it work out the air.

Looks like head gasket replacement may be in your future...
So far I've driven the truck about 40 miles, and really gotten on it from time to time. No puking at all, no pressure buildup and coolant seems to be exactly where it was when it was filled.

How would a headgasket cause the oil temps to be so high? (Legitimate question, not trying to doubt you)

I hope one of the Ford techs will chime in on this but that oil temp doesn't look real. Watching mine on my Insight from a stone cold start up it takes a while for the oil temp to match the coolant temp but from that point on it never drops more than a few degrees below the coolant temp and is usually 4-7 degrees above the coolant temp. With no load on the engine the coolant is heating the oil so it can't be 117*. Sounds to me like an oil temp sender is in order to start with...and a careful check of the wiring. Make sure one on the intake bolts with the studded end isn't chaffing the harness.
HAHA, you are correct sir. I meant 217*, my fat finger hit the 1 instead of the 2

·
Registered
264 Posts
That flow back into the degas bottle is a little more.... violent than I've seen. Mine looks like a good flow, but nothing explosive usually. Keep in mind that that side hose going back to the degas bottle is directly from the EGR cooler. If coolant was boiling in the EGR cooler, I'd guess that it would be quite violent on the return.

The bulletproof cooler won't prevent boiling of coolant if it sees constant hot exhaust and low coolant flow, it just won't pop and leak all into your intake generally.

Sounds like you could possibly have 'replacement oil cooler got re-gunked-up' syndrome, which really sucks :(
Either that, or yea... HG's... Personally I'd hope for the cooler myself.

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I made the comment based upon watching your video of the gas bubbles in the degas bottle at idle.
Ahhh, gotcha. I wonder if maybe there is just an air pocket in the cooling system? Or maybe a blockage in the oil side of the new oil cooler?

That flow back into the degas bottle is a little more.... violent than I've seen. Mine looks like a good flow, but nothing explosive usually. Keep in mind that that side hose going back to the degas bottle is directly from the EGR cooler. If coolant was boiling in the EGR cooler, I'd guess that it would be quite violent on the return.
I've noticed that at 1500 rpm, it's just a normal flow.

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UPDATE

I drove the truck today, probably 50 miles or so. Still the same result. So I guess my "air in the cooling system" idea is out. Although I did notice the return flow into the degas is more of a flow then being spit into the bottle like in my video. I ran it hard, no puking. Getting heat from the heater. I noticed the oil got to 245*, so for the hell of it I stomped on the go-pedal and the oil dropped to 235* within just a couple of seconds.

I'm going to guess that the new cooler is blocked up too. Grasping at straws here, but, is it possible that a bad mix on the coolant, less than 50/50 could cause such high temps?

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
UPDATE

I drove the truck today, probably 50 miles or so. Still the same result. So I guess my "air in the cooling system" idea is out. Although I did notice the return flow into the degas is more of a flow then being spit into the bottle like in my video. I ran it hard, no puking. Getting heat from the heater. I noticed the oil got to 245*, so for the hell of it I stomped on the go-pedal and the oil dropped to 235* within just a couple of seconds.

I'm going to guess that the new cooler is blocked up too. Grasping at straws here, but, is it possible that a bad mix on the coolant, less than 50/50 could cause such high temps?
No, I'm afraid it wouldn't be related to the mix of coolant. The coolant coming back into the degas bottle should be a decent flow, but not under significant pressure. If it is (like indicated in your video), then yes, you have a restriction in that coolant passage, which is the one going through the oil cooler and EGR cooler... According to physics, if flow remains constant and pressure increases, your cross section MUST have decreased indicating a restriction in that passage; In other words, a clogged (or clogging) oil cooler.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Dang those OE oil coolers!!

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1 - 14 of 14 Posts