Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aloha guys,
OK, I know this has been brought up a few times already and I did my searches but didnt get very far.

2000 F250 7.3 PS
Intermittant starting with no rhime or reason. Only code that is thrown is an EBP 0470 which I wouldn't think would do it. The starting issue just got worse. Most of the time it fires right up but sometimes not at all. It cranks like there is no tomorrow or fuel. No smoke. The CPS was changed out a few months back. Runs good and strong but does surge slightly at light pedal. We dont have an issue with cold weather here. Yesterday, I started it right up, backed it up 30 feet, shut it down for about 10 minutes and it wouldn't start. If I let it sit for a few hours, it will probably start. I got it running, shut it down and restarted it several times, went to the store and was in there about an hour. Came back out and no start. It sat there for a couple of hours and started right up. This has been ongoing for probably 6 months but is worse now. Not a gradual getting worse though.

I knew I shouldn't have polished the rims up! :dunno:

My first thought is relays. What do you guys think and where would you start?

·
Premium Member
8,409 Posts
My first move would be to replace the CPS again....

Their cheap, easy to change, and cause the symptoms you describe.

Everybody should have a spare CPS in their glovebox so, if it wasn't the problem you didn't waste Anything.

That's what I'd do anyway ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about that. Its not throwing any codes for the cps and if I recall, it was doing this before and after I changed it. It was at the point where it was stalling before I changed the CPS which fixed that. This to me is acting a little different. Letting it sit(whether warm or cold engine) seems to be the thing that lets it start.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am hoping that is as simple as this. I have a superchips tuner. I used it for the codes. I decided to put the truck back to stock to see if this would help the starting issue. Message comes up, "battery voltage to low" Hmmmmmmmm. I disco the neg side of the drivers side battery and a relay insides starts contacting(the speed of emergancy flashers) so I pull off all the terminals which had a little bit of corosion but not real bad. I clean them up, re-connect and then pulled the same neg wire off battery. This time no relay sound. Now I am used to gas engines where the voltage does not really make that much difference. If a battery is almost dead, you can still get a car running.

With the way it was, I could probably crank for 4 minutes straight(if I were to do that) so I didnt think about battery terminals being dirty. On these trucks, If the juice is good enough to crank for a few minutes, could it still not have enough juice to fire the system?

·
Premium Member
8,409 Posts
4 minutes!!!! gee That can't be it.... If they've got enough capacity to crank for that long then, it should EASILY start a warmed-up engine I'd think.

·
Super Moderator
12,908 Posts
What year truck? electric or mechanical pump? My first thoughts are check wiring going to lift pump/fuel pump

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe not quite that long since I would never just hold the key on for that long. To be safe I would say easily 2 minutes. What struck my attention was the tuner message about "to low voltage" and it would not let me re-tune the chip. It will now.

I have started it several times this morning without a glitch but am yet to take it for a drive.

Question still being: if the battery has enough juice to turn the motor over normally,or for arguement sake, almost normal, Could it still not have enough to excite the system?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Terryknight,
posted about the same time. It is a 2000 F250 7.3SD. I would say electric on the pump. Correct me if I wrong but I dont think any of the 7.3 SD's had a mech fuel pump, did they?

·
Super Moderator
12,908 Posts
The OBS trucks had mech pumps in the engine valley all the Super Dutys have electric pumps. I have no idea about the voltage low message. Check and make sure your batteries are good and all the connections on tight and clean, but it seems you've already done that.

·
Premium Member
8,409 Posts
But, just to understand...

It starts more reliability when cold than warm???

Could that be from too Much Fuel (like a leaking injector on a gas motor causing an "over-rich" that was tolerated when it needed choke anyway?) -I know,,, things don't work the same diesel/gas...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Makes no dif whether it is cold, warm or hot. Earlier on when it was doing this, I could turn the key off and on a few times to re-start the sequence and it would eventually start. Maybe on the time it did start, it was getting just enough power to excite the system. Finally the battery connections got bad enough to not let enough voltage in for the system as the starter was eating up most of the juice. Make sense? I am just theorising here. And, there is no smoke or smell when trying to start. I am going to run it around today and keep my buddies phone number handy :) Its really hard to cary lumber on a Harley so I am hoping the cleaning did it.

·
Super Moderator
12,908 Posts
good to hear it's fixed

1 - 14 of 14 Posts