Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, need help here.

Had 35-40 degree deltas (ECT=190 EOT=235 at 65 on flat ground)

Did a Restore flush, rise n fill a lot and then replaced with Cat rated red coolant. Coolant was nasty looking but not a lot of sediment or anything like that.

Did an EGR delete and put in new oil cooler. Delta came down a bit to 25 degrees ( 190 ECT vs 215 EOT) but still over the 15 degree "limit"

Ok I know what you are thinking... that the chem flush broke stuff loose and it clogged my new oil cooler.... Here is the thing... after all the flushing and work, I cut the old oil cooler in half... There was NO gelling of the small passages. This tells me that coolant was flowing and more importantly, the flush didn't break things loose that would have clogged the old OR new oil cooler.

I am thinking there just HAS to be something else that is causing this large delta. The truck is running great so I wouldn't suspect an oil side problem, then again, it isn't HP oil being pushed through the oil cooler is it?

After a cold soak my temps match pretty close ( a degree or two) Is it possible the EOT sensor is wrong at the higher temp?

Since my ECT holds so well, it seems my cooling system is working properly.

What can cause a lack of coolant or oil flow through the oil cooler?

Stumped here and a 25 degree delta bugs me, even though 215 on the oil isn't too bad.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ohh, one other interesting thing that may help here... When I got the truck running again, At first the EOT went to 230 degrees and held there... after about 20 min it fell to 215 and held steady.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Dude man be careful… Full signs of clogged oil cooler… Which may lead to you blowing your head gaskets… So if ur running cheap coolant then the high temperatures causes your coolant to break down into a sludge and clog the cooler… And Im sure the flush you did didnt help the clogged ness… I would check out MKMcustoms.com they have a nice package deal for an oil cooler, egr delete and software and what not… Basic Solution(TM) for Ford 6.0L Powerstroke With Sinister EGR Delete Kit, Oil Cooler and Intake Gaskets

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yea… your thermostat could be worn down and not isolating and allowing leak by… Whenever I changed my thermostat and oil cooler my ECTs when up and EOTs down…

·
Registered
128 Posts
Are you throwing a wrench code? I know everyone here and ford says 15 deg limit, but there is alot that has to be met before its a sure thing, is your truck stock? Tuned? Do temps stay high or do they drop when you come to a stop? I'm sure with bigger tires that has to have some kind of affect on the motor?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no codes, truck runs great on stock tune. temps do drop when I stop. also, I have stock tire size.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
After your truck sits over night read your temps again and compare against ambient temps they should be within a few degrees of outside temps [ambient].

If your oil temp is higher you probably have a bad sensor. Do not start the truck just turn on the key for this test.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Hi everyone, need help here.

Had 35-40 degree deltas (ECT=190 EOT=235 at 65 on flat ground)

Did a Restore flush, rise n fill a lot and then replaced with Cat rated red coolant. Coolant was nasty looking but not a lot of sediment or anything like that.

Did an EGR delete and put in new oil cooler. Delta came down a bit to 25 degrees ( 190 ECT vs 215 EOT) but still over the 15 degree "limit"

Ok I know what you are thinking... that the chem flush broke stuff loose and it clogged my new oil cooler.... Here is the thing... after all the flushing and work, I cut the old oil cooler in half... There was NO gelling of the small passages. This tells me that coolant was flowing and more importantly, the flush didn't break things loose that would have clogged the old OR new oil cooler.

I am thinking there just HAS to be something else that is causing this large delta. The truck is running great so I wouldn't suspect an oil side problem, then again, it isn't HP oil being pushed through the oil cooler is it?

After a cold soak my temps match pretty close ( a degree or two) Is it possible the EOT sensor is wrong at the higher temp?

Since my ECT holds so well, it seems my cooling system is working properly.

What can cause a lack of coolant or oil flow through the oil cooler?

Stumped here and a 25 degree delta bugs me, even though 215 on the oil isn't too bad.

Nasty looking coolant means it was dirty, The particles in my coolant are tiny, and if let sit long enough it will settle. The restore flush most certaintly breaks up debris in the system, even thorough rinseing leaves debris behind, most especially if you didnt put some miles on your truck after the flush and prior to disassembly. If your deltas dropped, your oil cooler was plugged to some degree. You should suspect your radiator is full of crap. Do you have a coolant filter? It's unfortunate your having these problems, you are not alone.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, I'm not sure what to think... went out today and with a cold soak my EOT was WAY off ambient.. like 140 degrees instead of the 85 the wt was reading... I remembered I had sweat profusely, likely dripping right on the sensor so I hit it with some contact cleaner... however at this point the engine was warm and I started the read normal numbers. I'll check tomorrow after a cold soak and see how they read... I may even swap the ECT and EOT sensors just for giggles.

my delta seems to be reducing every time I drive it". I only saw 210 EOT today even though I pulled my pup camper (3500 lbs). the ECT was about 190-195 so the delta is down to 15-20 degrees and sometimes less.. that EOT is perfectly acceptable and I deleted my egr cooler so I am done worrying about it. these stupid sensors are 10 years old and I would bet new they are only accurate within +\-2 degrees.... we will see.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Some have said the sensors get crud on them, why not change them both and be done with it. I think they are cheap.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UPDATE:

well, I'm not certain what is going on.. I wanted to replace my oil temp sensor cause I ws getting some eroneous cold soak readings... however those seemed to have dissappeared.

Now for the strange/ good news... My delta has been slowly dropping.... Towing a 3500lb camper AND a 1500 lb boat ( yes at the same time) on the freeway at 65 I was seeing about 200 on the WT and 210 on the oil... so that seems pretty good... I am wondering if there is air that is purging out of the system or something and everything is starting to work properly.

I suppose I need to watch my oil temp sensor really well since it could be going bad and giving me bad data. I bought one at nap but it didnt have the proper connecter.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I did my EGR delete and Oil Coller replacement last yr and on occasion teh truck would get hot. My deltas are also anywhere from 5-20 differnece at times. I have changed the coolant filter several times and with the exception of one time, has always been fairly clean.

Yesterday the wife was pulling a horse trailer running 70-75 and it got hot a couple of times, by hot I mean the ECT went to 230 and then back down. The oil temp was hot as well. She slowed to 65 and it seemed to be ok. She added about a gal of water when she got tio where she was going after it cooled down.

I should also add that this summer when we moved and I was pulling a gooseneck stock trailer about 30 miles one way several times, it hit the 230 mark as well. I added about a gal of of CAT ELC and all was well. I assumed that because I had changed about 4 coolant filters and not added fluid that that was the reason for the low level.

Any one else heard of this?

Also does anyone know if you can change the oil cooler with removing everything you have to for the EGR delete, ie, turbo, mainfold, etc, etc?

I'll start a new thread about this as well.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't see how you could remove the oil cooler without taking off the intake manifold.

anyhow, the moral of my story is, if you put in a new oil cooler and don't see an immediate difference, give it a while and it may just settle down. my temps look great now.

2003 F250 6.0L Superduty Lariott
95000 miles
EGR Delete
Blue spring upgrade
Scanguage II

From Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
169 Posts
It is my understanding that the 15^ temp delta was for Celsius and the delta for Fahrenheit was 25^. Is this correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
after you did the flush did you run the heat? and how hot is it outside? it sounds as though you do have a clogged oil cooler but there is no way to tell unless you replace it.... i do see it seems to be slowly dropping but i wouldnt take forever to change that cooler..

·
Registered
222 Posts
after you did the flush did you run the heat? and how hot is it outside? it sounds as though you do have a clogged oil cooler but there is no way to tell unless you replace it.... i do see it seems to be slowly dropping but i wouldnt take forever to change that cooler..
Yes we ran the heat. I think it was my 2nd coolant filter that was full of sludge. I pulled an empty stock trailer last night on a windy, hilly road, had the tow tune in and the outside temp was low 60's. The oil temp at one point to the 220's and the coolant temps were at the most 206 at the same time.

·
Premium Member
4,418 Posts
the truck will through a wrench light if it sees a delta issue. if your truck runs great, then drive it. this forum probably got you oversensitive to the numbers. stick with what ford set as the safety parameters instead of opinions on here....just my advice. you just put in new cooler, so its good to go....by new you meant from ford dealer new right? drive it

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Just for information.

The TSB 09-24-3 that has the calibration that handles the "Wrench" light for temp differences must be in the truck. Also, this calibration does not work on 03-04 model year trucks, as it states in the TSB. ( This calibration update also came with the vane sweep and FICM low voltage detection)

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/fordguy4u/2009-11-21_211519_A1.pdf

·
Premium Member
4,418 Posts
Just for information.

The TSB 09-24-3 that has the calibration that handles the "Wrench" light for temp differences must be in the truck. Also, this calibration does not work on 03-04 model year trucks, as it states in the TSB. ( This calibration update also came with the vane sweep and FICM low voltage detection)

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/fordguy4u/2009-11-21_211519_A1.pdf
good point bro, thanks for adding that in, I always appreciate facts more than opinions, and I believe you are correct in correcting me! :icon_ford:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts