Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I set out to change my fuel filters for the first time on my 2012 F250. Did all the right stuff - searched the threads, watched the videos, bought the Motorcraft 2 piece kit. I did the research and was ready to go. Had the rags, the bucket, the 1 1/4" socket, the strap wrench for backup, etc. Frame rail filter went like clockwork: plug off, unscrew three turns, drain housing, remove and re-install.

Engine mounted filter was brutal. I knew that the '12s don't have a 7mm clamp bolt - rather a tab on the side that's a 1/4 turn engagement kind of deal. Fine. Pop off the lines, spin it counterclockwise a 1/4 turn and lift it out. Took a bit of force (by hand) to turn it to index and some wiggling back and forth to get it out of the cup, but it came out. I was moderately concerned about the difficulty extracting the thing from the cup it sits in, but attributed it to a little bit of dirt and dust buildup that seemed like it might gum up the works.

Go to drop the new on in. It only drops about 1/2 way into the cup and binds up. The filter plastic seems to grab onto the cup plastic like velcro, and forget about turning the thing by hand to engage the retaining tab. Wiggled till my hands hurt. Tried every trick I could think of: sanding the "casting marks" off the inside of the cup, dish soap for lube on the filter, filter in the freezer to reduce the diameter...Checked 1/2 dozen times for some kind of clamp that could be loosened on the cup. Defeatist thoughts of calling a tow truck popped in my head as the sweat poured out of my brow.

An hour into screwing around with this thing (the frame filter took 10 minutes), and I said, "F* it" and forced the filter to seat down in the cup. It took everything I had to turn it with a strap wrench so the line taps aligned.

WTF Ford? Why is there an interference fit on a fuel filter that has a keeper tab??

I may actually pay somebody to do it next time as I have no idea how I'll get that filter out of there.

What gives? Anybody else had this problem? Is there a super secret tool to make this process easier? :dunno:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Nope no secret just align bottom tab with top grooves and twist towards the passenger side, I lube mine with grease so it won't jam

1 - 2 of 2 Posts