Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little history first. I have 2002 Lariat Crew Cab Shortbed. I recently had it painted. The shop replaced all four doors. The rear doors were from a newer truck. Not sure of the year. I have determined the door ajar switch changed in 2004. So the shop cut the plug off the new doors and spliced into existing wiring harness. (The just twisted the wires together and use masking tape. But that's another story).

So when I picked up the truck the door ajar light was on. I determined it was the drivers rear door. I did the standard, spray it with lube and work it back an forth. That seemed to make a change but it was strange. When the door was open the light was off, and when the door was closed the light was on. it was like this for 9 to 10 door open close cycles the it was back to on all the time.

So I pulled it apart to troubleshoot. Bottom line is every switch/latch combo, the switch is made when the latch/door is open. When the
switch is made the ajar is off. So door open light off, door closed light on.

When I twist the wires together the light is off.

Anyone go any idea what's going on?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
19,904 Posts
I'm not completely sure how these work, but are the wire connected backwards causing the switch act opposite?
Twisted wires? Yeah, that's not right.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya they messed up a lot i had to fix. I've determined the truck side is correct. I just need to figure out why the door latches seem to be backwards.

I found a YouTube video that explained how they work. One wire is ground. When the switch is closed that ground is connected to the input on the VSM module to indicate the door is closed.

My issue is this switch is made when the door latch is open. Therefore its backwards.

I tried swapping the wires made no difference.

·
Premium Member
19,904 Posts
I found this: 1999-2007 Door Ajar Switch Replacement
Maybe you can check to make sure everything is in the right place. If you tap each picture, you get a full-sized pic for better visibility.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got it figured out, aperanantly I had two switches that both failed in the same way. They operated opposite of how they should. Got another switch all works as should.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts