Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy guys. Long time gear head but new to the forum and new to diesels. Just came over from the dark side (gas motors) and wanted to thank everyone on this site for your input. Not knowing much about diesels, I surfed all the big forums to get an idea about which Big 3 truck to settle on. After a long search I finally found my dream truck, a 2006 F350 CC King Ranch dually w/ FX4, Moon Roof and the works. It's all stock and probably going to stay that way. After all I read, it seems even small increases in power really hurt the reliability of all Big 3's engines. One question I didn't really understand was the used motor oil in the fuel. How much should I put in per tank and I assume I use conventional oil right? Synthetic has a much higher ignition point. But what about Marvel Mystery Oil in the fuel? And does anyone know the best way to take care of the King Ranch leather? It only has 52K on it but the drivers seat is already hard and discolored. I know the guy I bought it from so I've known the truck since new. After all that is said and done, can anyone tell me any problems w/ the '06 I should be looking for? How often to change the oil and fuel fillter? and can it handle a small custom tune for better fuel milage?

Thanks again for your help in the past and now the future.

Sean

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
sweet sounding truck.
there was a thread somewhere on here about what is the best fuel additive and it turned out it was 3% biodiesel. the mystery oil, lucas, and all those others weren't too good. used two stroke oil wasn't too bad. but i'm here to say, B20 (20% biodiesel and 80% fuel) is AMAZING stuff. cleans out your whole fuel system wonderfully. i'd run it all the time if i could. it's great for lubricating the engine too.
i think for the oil and fuel it's every 7500 for the 6.0s but i could be wrong. your manual should say.
and i bet it can easily handle a good mid range tune as long as you don't floor it with a load
the good 6.0 owners will let you know but i figured i'd share my small insight

·
Registered
656 Posts
well, first things first. welcome to the .org :clap: i think you made a great purchase with the '06. as far as fuel additives, i've heard AND seen everything from 2 cycle to ATF added to diesel. i think a good product like Diesel Kleen for example will boost your cetane points a few numbers, keep your injectors clean and gel issues to a minimum in the winter. just my .02 though. and keeping one of these things in stock form...:crazy: but, enjoy the site. theres many many valuable resources from others past experiences on here. good luck with it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcoming guys. I heard about tranny fluid from an old tractor pull guy. Said the stuff was steroids in a bottle. But is it safe to run in these newer motors? He quit pulling in the late 90's. What is the reason the 6.0's can't run full biodiesel, the EGR system? I think a good supply of veggie oil can be had locally. I work for the City of Largo (yes the same Largo where the city manager turned transvestite)) and the code enforcement guys tell me when the used oil drums are full and being cited. Finally found something those code enforcement folks are good for. Anyway, can I just get the used stuff, filter it and make it here at the house? Not like that monster will fit in the garage. And what is the safe boost level the engine can run? And as far as tunes, is it the increased boost (35 psi +) that causes the head bolts to stretch? I'm not wanting a race truck just a tad more to get that thing moving off the line. I consider myself a very conservative driver, my wife considers me a grandpa. And has anyone tried a Gear Vendors over drive unit on the 5-spd? My 70 mph rpm is 2250 (4:10 gears). Is lowering that to 1700-1800 a good idea at the same speed? And what is the safest lowest cruising rpm I should see w/ the automatic? Thanks again for your help and input.

Jesilvas, I was born and raised in Houston and I've always had a soft spot for the Red Raiders; really liked Graham Harrell, he shouldv'e gotten the Hiesmann, but still pissed at Crabtree. Actually, Giddeon dropped that tipped interception that wouldv'e ending that game, but I love my Longhorns. For those of you who don't know Texas college football, you can like any other team in the state, but it's a State Law you must at least be a Longhorn fan, and always, always, always, piss on OU!!

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,738 Posts
Welcome to the ORG!

·
Compression Ignition Addict
6,919 Posts
If you choose to add oil to the fuel - make sure it is NEW and ASHLESS RATED two stroke oil. You will eventually regret adding used oil of any kind.

Oil as an additive does nothing for cetane. US diesel can dip as low as 38 cetane. Ford recommends 45 as a minimum. If you choose an additive, boosting cetane is important. Diesel Kleen and Stanadyne (as well as the Motorcraft additive) are very good additives. Biodiesel at 2% is at the top for lubricity (injector lubrication). 2 % is about 0.6 gallons in 30 gallons.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How often do I use something like Diesel Kleen? And how about the Motorcraft diesel oil? What is the best recommended conventional oil and is it worth it to go sythetic?

·
Compression Ignition Addict
6,919 Posts
Many folks I know use Diesel Kleen every fill-up. I use Stanadyne and Bio-diesel every fillup. One person in particular (on another Forum) double-doses Diesel Kleen every fill-up. He has 150k trouble free miles.

The Stanadyne I use increases my fuel cost by 8 cents per gallon of fuel every fill-up. Diesel Kleen is half that at the recommended dosages. The Motorcraft additive is more expensive and said to be made by Stanadyne.

I know many folks that do not use it due to the cost. Some have had good, trouble-free experiences also. It is a personal choice. I have removed my EGR valve twice - just to look at it and clean it - no symptoms. The first time it was shiny, oily gunk. The second time it was only minor dry powder. I believe my fuel additive program helps.

In the end, it is all a personal choice on using a fuel additive - but if you do, pick a good one!

ATF fluid and used motor oil are not good choices.

·
Registered
656 Posts
i have a Bullydog intake and i use a prefilter (kinda like a sock that goes over the filter) just for a little insurance with my zoodad. no real gain performance wise i've seen but the turbo is a little more audible. i know a couple of guys in our chapter that use K&N which dont have a good rap with 6.0's because of lack of filtration, BUT their trucks mainly see on road use. AFE makes a factory replacement drop-in that is easy to remove and uses your existing intake and is quite affordable at around 65 bucks (many vendors on here sell them). the factory Donaldson filter is hard to beat for a daily driver (but a PITA to remove/replace :rofl:)

·
Registered
350 Posts
i just baught a 06 also came from the gasser side as well ..............i dont no much about diesel but what is the purpose of adding diesel kleen ? and where do i get some ? do they sell at the local gas station ...... on the 27 gallon tank how much of it should you add to a fill up and how often should i do this ?......... i have had about 4 fill ups so far and have not added anything but just fuel ? any help would be great thanks ..............

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
the diesel kleen boots cetane numbers of the diesel. it's a rating of how ignitable/combustible the diesel is. the higher the number, the more of the diesel will burn in the cylinder. and it can clean and keep clean the injectors and fuel system. each product is different with the amounts to add. the bottle will tell you how much. they sell it at tractor supply, walmart, auto parts stores, various places.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts