Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 f350 with a 6.7, 24000 miles, the other night I got the reduced engine power (a CEL p0088) the truck died on the side of the road.
I took it to the dealer and they are telling me that my fuel pump died because the fuel gelled. The failure will not be covered under warranty. They are telling me it is going to cost $12684.65 to repair the complete fuel system.
First question: how much are others paying to replace the fuel system?
How do you build a fuel system that will kill it's self if the fuels gels?
What is the best customer service number to call to see if I can get Ford to help pay for some of the repair?

·
Premium Member
11,029 Posts
Personally sounds like a wad of BS to me... We routinely see -25 below here and many don't run an additive. But if you were traveling through multiple states there is a SMALL CHANCE you picked up some non-winter blend fuel but its so rare and unlikely. I would call Ford and have them triple check everything.

Not that this is an excuse but the cp4 type trucks need to run a fuel treatment and not even really because of gelling issues but the new diesel doesn't properly lubricate a metal on metal surface as well so it has a tendacy to scar and then you get the cp4, cp4.2 failures that send shrapnel throughout the trucks system. Did they show you the fuel?

·
Administrator
33,259 Posts
-25 below ? brrr

fuel should not Gel until 17*F from what I read ,, but I live in AZ so I can't prove it lol

·
Super Moderator
6,069 Posts
What @FordDoctor said, then ask for proof of metal in the system. If you kept trying to run the truck with gelled fuel/iced filters you absolutely could have killed the pump. But if you shut it down and waited for the flat bed, I doubt gelled fuel killed your pump.

Its been well into the negatives here in MN over the last couple weeks, and these super cold mornings you will see diesels gelled on the side of the freeway. Just takes one tank of fuel that isn't winterized properly to teach you a very cold lesson... Always treat fuel with anti gel and keep up on fuel filter maintenance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The coldest temp of the week was 6 degrees, I am also running Power service. The fuel I buy has been winterized so it should not gel at 6 degrees (it was 25F at the time the truck died). The truck only went 500 feet after the reduced engine power warring message came on. The fuel pressure was high enough to pop off one of the fuel return lines. I have been replacing the fuel filters with every oil change.

·
Registered
2005 F350 Lariat Crew
1,095 Posts
-25 below ? brrr

fuel should not Gel until 17*F from what I read ,, but I live in AZ so I can't prove it lol
Even then, it's not truly "gelled". It's just starting to freeze.

·
Registered
2005 F350 Lariat Crew
1,095 Posts
The coldest temp of the week was 6 degrees, I am also running Power service. The fuel I buy has been winterized so it should not gel at 6 degrees (it was 25F at the time the truck died). The truck only went 500 feet after the reduced engine power warring message came on. The fuel pressure was high enough to pop off one of the fuel return lines. I have been replacing the fuel filters with every oil change.
Yeah, that story from the dealer is BS. It will not gel enough to hurt your fuel system, ESPECIALLY with power service and winter fuel.

·
Premium Member
11,029 Posts
This is the picture of the fuel filter that the dealer sent me
Too my knowledge Ford states in their own owners manual a fuel treatment is not needed... So how does fuel gelling cause a void in the warranty? Its fuel system should be able to handle diesel just fine. The only other course would be to harass the fuel stations you went to for a sample and pray you have reciepts and maybe security footage of your truck getting fuel there and filing a claim with them or their fuel distributor.

·
Premium Member
2,147 Posts
Something is fishy. The fuel should not have been a problem. I can attest that at around 2° the fuel here in VA is cloudy but not gelled. At the same temperature with additive it was clear as usual. I posted pics somewhere on here. I did a test for giggles with some fuel in Mason jars and left them out overnight.
Now....could there have been ice crystals? I dunno. But I your fuel gelled then so did a lot of other trucks out there.

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
Pull a sample from you tank and have the answer to everything....

get a weather printout of when/where your truck died for that day, chill the fuel to that temp and see what happens. Freezes up, pay the bill. doesnt freeze, lawyer up

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2019 f350 with a 6.7, 24000 miles, the other night I got the reduced engine power (a CEL p0088) the truck died on the side of the road.
I took it to the dealer and they are telling me that my fuel pump died because the fuel gelled. The failure will not be covered under warranty. They are telling me it is going to cost $12684.65 to repair the complete fuel system.
What is the best customer service number to call to see if I can get Ford to help pay for some of the repair?
I just paid $12.7k to replace my fuel system, 2015 6.7. They said fuel contamination, what a crock of ****. The showed me no rust, but they said there was rust. Best of luck!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Last May, cost me almost 10K for a new fuel system in my 2015. Don't know what the crap is in the fuel tank but it was everywhere. Try your insurance.
Hood Motor vehicle Light Automotive design Automotive lighting
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle

·
Registered
340 Posts
Please tell me they didn't pull the cab to replace the fuel system. Totally unnecessary and a waste of labor.

·
Super Moderator
6,069 Posts
Gota do whatever they can to get that bill up to $12k...

EDIT

Also, if they are going to deny warranty for fuel contamination. They damn well better show proof of it (water, rust, def, gas...), don't accept that bs without proof. This is one repair you don't authorize until they show you why the bill is coming out of your pocket. Contamination is so common, a lot of dealerships just feed you the bs...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had 2 of them go bad..1st at 250k 2nd at 350k...my insurance under my comp paid both times 1st company 9k 2nd 7200..average price is between 7 and 8 k ..the kit which has all necessary parts is 4200 at list ..Ford pays there dealers I believe 17 hours labor and supplies the kit to them so they push for a no warrantee cash job to milk you....pull it out if there and take it to an independent shop and call your insurance..1st time I had water in fuel 2nd time wascjust a **** CP4 failure ...neither time did they take a fuel sample and neither will the factory ..there are numerous class action suits against ford for this Crap pump..Google it and you will see all the harrow stories .as usual they just want to gloss over their screw up with Bosch !..85k for a truck is not enough for them ..

1 - 20 of 35 Posts