Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Ford F-250 6.0 4WD
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2004 Ford F-250 a few months ago. I haven't had any issues, other than changing out filters, cleaning, etc. When I first checked the coolant, it was low. I topped it off. This was September or October when I purchased the truck. 2 days ago, it was low again, so I topped it back off. This morning I noticed a huge puddle under the truck. It looks like a pretty good size leak. I have been driving it up to this point with no issues. No Check Engine light showing, and no stored codes.. It is not my daily driver, so it has sat for 2 days until I noticed it this morning. It's on the passenger side of the engine. I can't see anything wet from the top of the engine. I have attached 2 pictures from underneath. They are not the best, as it was getting dark when I took them. Its running down from somewhere and I'm just curious if you guys can give me an idea where to start. I can get some better pictures tomorrow if needed.

·
Blow me to Bermuda!
687 Posts
Is the EGR still present on the truck?

If so, I'd start there with the little hose coming off of it. What color is the hose?

Reactions: bismic

·
Registered
2004 Ford F-250 6.0 4WD
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will check in the morning for the EGR. So far, I haven't found the exact hose. After doing some reading, I'm also going to check the heater valve. I have had an occasional skip when driving. Right before I topped it off the first time, the heater was only blowing cold air. As soon as I topped off the coolant, the heat worked perfectly.
It is also hard to start on cold mornings without having the truck plugged in. (Usually 30-40°. I live in South Carolina so it doesn't get very cold normally. And it blows out white smoke until the truck warms up. I'm not sure if this is all related, but once I chase the coolant leak tomorrow, I'm going to look at the glow plugs and test the ohms.
Just an FYI, there has not been any modifications to the engine.

·
Registered
2004 Ford F-250 6.0 4WD
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good afternoon. The EGR is still there. As you can already tell, I'm not a mechanic. I've always serviced and maintained my vehicles, and even completed some somewhat complex repairs on them.
It looks like all of the coolant leaked out overnight. I've removed thd intercooler tube to get a better luck, and even though I see several wet hoses, I can't pin point the leak. If it were the EGR, where would the leak possibly be coming from?
I've attached 2 pictures. When I took the sensor off of the EGR, it appears to have some moisture in it. Any help is appreciated. Thank you guys so far.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,970 Posts
When it gets cooler outside it is common for older hoses to leak where they are clamped to fittings -- the rubber gets harder usually and cant expand/contract with the temperature swings

the little hose mentioned is about 2 1/2 inches long just in front and to the leaf of the turbo mount(looking from the front of the engine bay)

your EGR valve connector is bad the center terminals are spread out(and look burned) and one of the end looks corroded -- if the truck has been "deleted" that may not make any difference
the EGR cooler that was asked about runs inside the passenger side of the intake manifold and can be seen looking again from the front to the left of the turbo mount -- it is a long(20 inches) tubular or square device -- the little hose is connected to it

common for this hose to leak at the ends

you could fill the coolant and pressurize the system to about 12-15 psi with a radiator tester pump

·
Blow me to Bermuda!
687 Posts
The coolant completely leaked out just sitting in the driveway?

This is what I was getting at, but I don't think the symptoms match. I was only basing it off of the location of the drip, but that doesn't eliminate other sources if it's leaking that fast.

DieselTechRon - EGR Hose Leak

Reactions: Hydro

·
Registered
2004 Ford F-250 6.0 4WD
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not aware of the EGR being deleted. The guy I bought it from said that everything was stock, so I'm assuming not. I'll go check the hoses and see what I can find. But I believe it's safe to say that I either need a new EGR (and proper maintenance of it from here on), or i need to remove it.

·
Registered
2004 Ford F-250 6.0 4WD
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The coolant leaked out in the driveway. Im sure there was a small leak, but over the past 2 days of not driving it, it has dumped it all on my driveway. So I'm assuming the small leak turned into a big one. I had the intercooler off the day before and didn't notice anything.

·
Blow me to Bermuda!
687 Posts
The original EGR hose was orange. They were known for leaking and replaced with a blue one. Not that a blue one can't / won't leak.

If you peer down in there and see an orange hose and moisture in the area: bingo.

Reactions: bismic

·
Registered
2004 Ford F-250 6.0 4WD
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I believe it is orange. I had to step back inside for a second. But I found the attached picture under the turbo. The guy I bought it from lived in a field. So I'm assuming I had a mouse hanging out. I'll check around this area too. I'll let you know on the orange hose in just a minute .

·
Registered
2004 Ford F-250 6.0 4WD
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, so if we're talking about the same hose, which I'm fairly certain we are, the hose, (pictured below) is orange. So.... what should my next course of action be?

·
Blow me to Bermuda!
687 Posts
Orange hose. Looks like moisture under it?

Can you shove some napkins or something down under there?

If there's moisture it'll wick some up and you can confirm you've got a leak from there. My eyes aren't great so I have to get 'creative' with stuff some times.

Or, do you have a small flashlight and a little mirror?

·
Registered
2004 Ford F-250 6.0 4WD
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There certainly is moisture, almost looks oily. So there has probably been a small leak there for a while. What's my best course of action?

·
Blow me to Bermuda!
687 Posts
If the leak is coming from there, you need Part Numbers:

Hose: 4C4Z-8592-AA

Inner O-Ring: 3C3Z-9N693-FA

Outer O-Ring: 3C3Z-9N693-EA

@fordsvtparts - can you confirm?

@bismic wrote a guide on this replacement: here.

As for the oil in that area, mine was from the Oil Drain Tube on the Turbo. I'm not saying this is where the oil on yours is coming from. But it is a common-enough part in that area to leak a little oil.

Hopefully some people who are far more knowledgeable than I am will chime-in. I know enough to get in trouble...and then get myself out. :D

·
Registered
2004 Ford F-250 6.0 4WD
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After looking a little further and cleaning up around it, I'm almost positive that would be the problem. How are of a fix is this? You can see in this picture, (hopefully), the orange hose covered dirt, debris, oil, among others.

·
Premium Member
4,970 Posts
Wow, you could have had a fire there -- we dont look often enough, those critters can pile up trash in a couple of days
I have had a few customers that have burned vehicles from stuff like this

Taking the turbo and base out is the easiest way to get to the hose
check the turbo pressure(top) hose, if it is the braided one -- replace it soon to the solid pipe
also the drain line has an updated version

Reactions: nine9six

·
Registered
2004 Ford F-250 6.0 4WD
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you guys. I'm going to give it a try tomorrow. After doing some cleaning under the turbo, I'm certain that is where the leak is coming from. I really appreciate the help. If anyone has any tips on removing the turbo, replacing the orange hose and installing a new egr, please let me know.

·
Blow me to Bermuda!
687 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Ford F-250 6.0 4WD
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After taking everything off, I would say this was the problem area. I'm waiting on my hose to get here today and then hopefully she'll be back to running fine.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts