Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only 9k miles and the plastic rocker arm broke off, fell down and blew the motor. Ford says the new motor will be in next week for the change out. Apparently the rocker arm is a PROBLEM. Heads Up!! Let your WARRANTY person know if they already don't.

·
Marine Raiders>Seals
7,051 Posts
WOW that really sucks... sorry to hear about that.. how many motors have you gone through?? and are you using it as a pulling truck or just a daily driver?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
is it a 6.0? lol

·
Banned
85 Posts
Plastic Rocker Arm?

·
Doesn't Even Care
18,044 Posts
Wait, Ford is putting some moveable Plastic drivetrain parts in a Diesel motor? Whats up wit dat?

·
Infidel
5,166 Posts
The plastic rocker arm broke off, fell down and blew the motor. Ford says the new motor will be in next week for the change out. Apparently the rocker arm is a PROBLEM. Heads Up!! Let your WARRANTY person know if they already don't.
You have got to be kidding me!!!!!! A frickin plastic piece on an internal in a diesel engine? What crack smoking rocket scientist thought that would be a good idea?

Sorry to hear that you are down a vehicle right now. Hope it gets fixed right and back to you ASAP.
Craig

·
Registered
4 Posts
i think i need proof on the plastic rocker arm statement.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
hope everything works out. mine might need a motor cause of something weird too

·
Infidel
5,166 Posts
Cleaned this one up a bit - don't bash this mbr please!
Bashing a member when their rig is broke???? Isn't that like getting kicked when your down? That's just not right.

So did International really use a plastic piece on the rocker arm?
Craig

·
Registered
776 Posts
There are Plastic Valve Covers on the 3.8L mustang in 83. And they do warp and they are exposed to the air cooling but I fixed it with a new gasket. My VW Diesel has a Plastic deflector inside the valve covers and it survived 300K miles.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
My Chevrolet 6.5L has plastic pieces that hold the rocker arms on. If one breaks off the rocker arm will probably stop working completely. I would guess if an exhaust valve rocker broke it could be devastating.

·
Registered
210 Posts
now if this is true how would they go about fixing it....but another motor in there with pieces made my fisher price..sry about the ride man

·
Registered
121 Posts
The rocker arm is not made of plastic. The retainer is plastic same as the 6.0. This part has never been a problem in the 6.0 so why change it? The steel rocker arms were breaking in the 6.0s not the retainers.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Is there really plastic rocker arms in this motor? I can't see them lasting to long with the expansion and contraction from the heat. That part won't last as it will get brittle from the heat. Hope there is a recall for this soon.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
my guess is that they are not plastic, and if there are plastic parts in there, I can only hope they do not play an important role.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts