Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I did a search and couldnt find the answer to this question.

Most people said that you should have the truck on a timer for 3-4 hours before you're looking to start the motor.

And at the same time I read that a way of checking to see if the heater cord is working is a simple put your hand on the cord and see if its warm.

Is that theory true? Its easier than the multimeter test, but im sure its not as accurate. I had the truck plugged in this morning for only an hour and checked the cord and it wasnt warm where the cord meets the oil cooler.

Thanks

·
Banned
4,240 Posts
Don't know the answer, but curious myself. Im gonna get a timer and just set it for 2 hours before I leave for work on my early days. (Before 6am) We have been below zero already, but no problems starting at 4*F w/ block....

:bump:

·
Registered
28 Posts
That method is how I judge whether or not it's working. The cord is almost always warm when I unplug it. It also usually sparks a little when plugging in a cold engine or unplugging it while it is heating up. I do not know what the cut in and cut out temperatures are with the heaters or if it is constantly on. I would assume it has cut in/cut out temps because I can watch my lights in the garage flicker! I keep mine plugged in and have had no starting issues at 0 degrees!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Right now I'm working on the road and I haven't purchased a timer because the electric is included with this place. The night that my buddy and I plugged into the same outlet circuit, popping the breaker, did however end in disaster the next morning. His 24V Cummins would barely start, my '97 PSD needed a little sniff of the ether.

When I leave her plugged in, the glow plug light shuts off after 3-4 seconds, and she fires without complaint.

I am however looking to install a circulating pump to speed up heating time... for the day when I actually do have to pay the electric bill :)

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
no timer needed. its just a power saving device. the cord may or may not be warm, i noticed when its windy it carries off the heat and you cant tell. i would say if its warm or if you can get it to spark plugging it in its working. or yes, you can use a multimeter.

with a good set of glows, relay and compression, i can start downs to 10f without problem (cold as it has been since i put now glows in this fall). i just let the glows runf for about a minute before cranking. then i also have the dbelectrical gear reduction starter which seems to help.

·
Registered
325 Posts
are you using a heavy extension cord? I.m running a 150" 10 ga wire I think, that I cut down and but a custom plug on, it's very heavy duty cord and carries alot more power than a smaller cord would

·
Registered
507 Posts
when i was on vacation in tenn i left my truck pluged in for 3 days straight or i would jus leave it plugged in over night and m y truck would start with no problem .... if you wanna check the temp just look at your temp gauge in your truck should be warmer than cold .... and the heater only heats up to a certain point .. i think ...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts