Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This was'nt a home brewing operation, it was a federal funded bio-d plant.
Yes, federally funded. They won't outlaw it, they will begin to put up more stringent safety measures i think.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
He was welding on a fuel line. This had nothing to do with the process of making bio.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
well, more stringent safety measures would most likely raise commercial bio prices. Yay for petroleum! In case no one has noticed, it's headed to $130/bbl today.

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He was welding on a fuel line. This had nothing to do with the process of making bio.
It was a methanol line he was welding on, used for making bio-D. whats your point? The explosion came directly from messing with the chemicals used for making bio-d

·
Registered
19 Posts
CHenry:
Unless I read it wrong, it may well have been a methane (green gas line that was not properly purged) that blew up.

icfbob

·
Stupidity pisses me off
3,863 Posts
Not to jack the thread, but that story reminded me of what happened over at a steel recycling plant in Rancho Cordova, CA. about 8 years ago. A yard laborer was torch cutting up metal scrap to get it ready for transport and he started cutting on this long cylinder shaped item and WHAMMIE! It exploded. It turned out it was a old Vietnam era 1,000 lb. airial bomb with no fins, and no fuse. I can't recall how it ended up in the scrap yard, but needless to say the guy was toast.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Since it's federally funded I bet you they won't pay out on his benefits stating something like "We could only recover 49% of his body".

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
It was a methanol line he was welding on, used for making bio-D. whats your point? The explosion came directly from messing with the chemicals used for making bio-d
Point is, you put a welder to anything flammable it will blow.:doh: Why does that make the bio-d process dangerous. Weld the pipes before you roll anything flammable, like METHANOL through it. If the guy was welding a fuel line at a gas station, would they blame the fuel.:dunno: Do most people use torch when making bio?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Not trying to argue, and I do agree that making bio is dangerous business, but as a welder / business owner, I do this type of welding all the time. This was a welding accident. Either they were being too careless while purging the line, or the guy was just not properly trained to do this type of work.
There are VERY strict proceedures set forth by OSHA that must be followed to the T, to saftly weld on this type of gas line, and EVERY (qualified) welder knows that. If the procedure is done correctly, there is a 0% chance of having an accident like this happen.

I am willing to bet that he was new to this type of work, and was not properly trained. Nobody can legally weld this type of pipe line w/o having the proper certifications (which are very expensive), and to be honest, only the very best welders are capable of getting these certs. I'm starting to babble now, but bottom line, there is only 2 ways to do this type of work, the right way, or this guys way. The first way is better!

·
Registered
38 Posts
When I was in the Navy a guy was making barbcue cookers out of 50gal drums by cutting them in half with a torch. One blew up and cut him in half. They banned all cookouts for a year...:hehe:

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
About 20 years ago...there was the story of the welder working around a huge tank. To prevent an explosion ,he stuffed a rag into a nearby tank hole. The tank was recently emptied of flammables...but he was working near it. He did his welding just fine,took a break for lunch,resumed welding. Story goes that a supervisor came along ,saw the rag,said WHat the he$$ is this and removed the rag. The roof of the tank went airborn ,came down and squashed a truck flat. The driver was flat.
The moral of the story???
Managers..they can be a real pain in the a$$.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts