Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thninking about switching to amsoil, running rotella now. 49000 miles, no major leaks. What're your opinions ? I'm mainly scared of developing a leak.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would stick Rotella I would say if your going to get a leak you will get a leak. But what makes you think you will get a leak?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've seen quite a few cars develop leaks from changing over to synthetic, or rather the leaks become more apparent. most of thes vehicles were higher mileage though. Why do you say stay with rotella, you don't think I'd benefit from synthetic. Was thinking about doing their trans fluid too.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I am sure he ment HPOP.
HPOP=High Pressure Oil Pump

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I'm curious because I would have figured that synthetic would be better in higher pressure applications

·
Registered
601 Posts
i didnt really see anything that said not to use amsoil in a PSD. what i did see was not to use any synthetic in a high milage diesel without a flush and not to go crazy with extended change intervals. im still going to keep using amsoil and change it every 5k like i have been doing. one more thing, if you search hard enough you will find somebody unhappy with just about every oil made.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I agree 110% with running full synthetic. Reason being, I deal with a lot of CAT C-9s and C9s. They have a really similar fuel system to a powerstroke. When they start to lag, surge, or smoke excessivly 9 times out of 10 its because the oil needs to be changed. They both pump unfiltered oil from the sump to the high-pressure oil pump and then to the injectors.

But that is simply with the HEUI, or HPOP, fuel systems. Like it was stated before, a common rail fuel system does not have to worry about this allowing it to be able to run longer between oil changes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a 1997 F-350 4X4 dually dump truck with the 7.3 L that I put Amsoil Series 3000 in it. I started using it at 5000 miles. I also bought the B-100 bypass filter kit from Amsoil. I had my oil tested on a regular basis and never had a problem with it (like new). I have recently sold the dump truck to my oldest son and bought a 2008 F-350 4X4 Lariat Crew Cab with 6-3/4' bed with the new 6.4 L Powerstroke. I have 3,500 miles on it and I'm about to order a FS-2500 bypass filter and put Amsoil in it at 5,000 miles.

·
Registered
138 Posts

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
I have been thinking of switching over to Amsoil products. trying to get opinions from actual users on it. Any takers?

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I have been thinking of switching over to Amsoil products. trying to get opinions from actual users on it. Any takers?
Use it! I only have about 20K miles on amsoil in my 7.3. but, I have been using amsoil for about 25 years, I use it in everything. 3 trucks, 5 marine diesels.

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
Use it! I only have about 20K miles on amsoil in my 7.3. but, I have been using amsoil for about 25 years, I use it in everything. 3 trucks, 5 marine diesels.
And no problems whatsoever? How about performance-wise? any help there or fuel economy?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts