Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Big Daddy!
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that Amsoil is a very good product, but my question to the Ford Mechanics is IF I get the Amsoil filter that goes with the Oil, can I go 20k+ miles without voiding my warranty, or does Ford not care about what oil I put in my truck I still have to change it every 3k or 5K miles regardless?

Bob ~!

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
I'm obviously not a tech but if the dealer was anal enough I would assume that they could give you grief for both the filters and oil. Imo, I would never go over 7500 with any oil on the 6liter. again, that's all just my take on it.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Amsoil claims that they will cover you themselves if it is proven to be the oil's fault and the dealer wont do anything. I dont know how true this is, as I've never needed it. I'm on 10K on my amsoil right now, and I've been getting reports done every 5K, waiting for my second one to come back now, but the first one was good. I was told to run it and send another report in the next normal change interval.

·
Big Daddy!
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where do you send your oil in to, and how much does that cost ?

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Mine is actually sent to Amsoil's company, Oil Analysts. Even though some people seem to think that they skew their results because it's their own oil, and that they also use some sort of solvents to "cheat" on the results and yada yada, meanwhile there are people on here that have sent their oil to two separtate companies with equal results. It usually costs about $30, which is expensive I think, but for my first time running Amsoil, I think it's some good information worth spending the money on. My local diesel shop stocks all Amsoil products, including the oil analysis kits, and they even pull the oil out for me!

AMSOIL - Oil Analysis Kits

·
Registered
999 Posts
I personally woundlt go more than every 5,000 miles because I heard people on here say that the 6.0 has a bad habit about shearing oil.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
My dealer says you can go twice the recommended interval with amsoil without voiding the warranty. Your dealer results may vary.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
From a business point of view it's a stupid move. It's a gamble, nothing is in writing... it's all "advertising" and the only thing in writing will be the dealer saying T.S. and eat it. All that for what reason? Many diesels go millions of miles regardless of oil "brand". OEM filter and a good 15-40 dino every 5k here :)

·
Premium Member
19,112 Posts
Blackstone labs offers the same type of oil analysis but costs a bit less and is independent of Amsoil, so there is no concern of skewed results. The 6.0L HPOP is the likely culprit in the oil shearing concerns, although it does appear to be hit or miss-some have massive shearing problems and others don't.

Based on that, you should follow what mdub suggests and take a sample and have it analyzed every 5,000 miles and see what Blackstone or "Oil Analysts" say. They do this for a living...

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Or use a service through CAT, or any HD commercial equipment outfit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts