Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, lets hear the good stories/bad stories and everything else about Amsoil synthetic 15w-40 oil and synthetic tranny fluid.

I'm looking at purchasing enough for 2 oil changes of 15w-40 synthetic with filters and I also want to change out my tranny fluid and filter with their synthetic fluid.

Let me hear your horror stories/good tales about this company. :thumb:

My truck has 206k miles on it with what I believe is the original tranny.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anybody...?

·
cj41foleyisathief
1,925 Posts
Sorry I like RP oil. But I hear good things about AO.

·
Registered
407 Posts
i run amsoil synthetic 15w 40, very pleased with it. I am actually looking into becoming a amsoil dealer. I don't really have much to compare it to my truck has seen synthetic as long as i have owned it. I know if u are not currently running synthetic oil then amsoil makes a kit to flush out ur motor before u use their oil. I have heard only good things about amsoil. hope this helps

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Everyone has good things to say so far......anyone have anything bad to say?

**Just trying to get different views on this product**

·
cj41foleyisathief
1,925 Posts
The only bad thing I would say about Amsoil it's not as easy to get as RP.

·
powerstrokin
2,857 Posts
Im running amsoil and haven't had any problems, runs great!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I signed up for their preferred customer program....saves you a little money over regular price, looks like I'm goin with it.

How long do yall go between oil changes with the synthetic? It says with normal driving, 25,000......

·
Premium Member
20,358 Posts
I signed up for their preferred customer program....saves you a little money over regular price, looks like I'm goin with it.

How long do yall go between oil changes with the synthetic? It says with normal driving, 25,000......
if your gonna run it for 25k i would highly suggest a bypass filter kit.. without a kit i would only run it for around 7500 miles and then get the oil tested and see what they say....

-Raul

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Ben using amsoil for over 25 years.

88 f-150 300 IL6 bought it 65K mi, bypass kit 20K oil changes, now 155K mi, seems like new.

2000 Ex, just put bypass on. Have had it 20K mi. 7-8K 1st 2 changes. 4K on this oil. have to ask me about this on in 10 years. only 100K on it now.

Cummins 855 Marine appl. 45K hrs 800-1200hr oil changes, no bypass:doh: engine still running strong.

Izuzu 4bd1 235cu driving 40KW generator. 47k hrs same oil changes. runs strong but with a touch of blue smoke. Niether engine burned any oil till 35k hrs.

Whenever I'v had valve cover off any of these engines, thay we're clean like new. I'v never done oil sample, so don't have any of that info. but with the hrs I'm getting, and how long till I even needed to add oil, Amsoil works.

Almost forgot. The 1st time we put amsoil in a 8V-92. in a boat the water temp at WOT went from 185 to 182, and the EGT went from 780 to 720. Thats alot less friction. Sold the boat and the new owner put dyno back in.:dunno:

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Which bypass kit have you been using? I'm guessing the single remote bypass?

·
Super Moderator
31,730 Posts
FYI you dont need to use the engine flush in a PSD thats a waste of time. and it also can do damage. just go from whatever you were using right to the amsoil

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Dave, I was going to just change it out straight to the new synthetic. That sounded more like a gimic to me

·
Other vehicle is an F250
18,320 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts

·
Other vehicle is an F250
18,320 Posts

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I use Amsoil in my Chevy but not the 6.4 yet.

Use synthetic oil filters too. Never use any additive.

I got the bypass kit with some large filters. The oil is compatible with other oils so you can just switch without a problem except you should not extend the change interval the first time. After that you should never extend the change interval on a diesel without oil samples. Once you start oil samples you can establish the proper change interval within a few changes.

I use the Torque Drive in my 4L80E transmission and synthetic gear oil in the differential.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I can say this

I ran Rotella 5W-40 synthetic........only $16 a gallona t wal-mart

Send oil in for annalysis at 6,000 miles.

tested as good as new...

spinning on a new WIX filter at 8,000

Going to send in another sample at 10,000.....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts