Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was perusing through the PTP website just dreaming about parts I would love to install on my truck(I think my cart had $10,000 in it or so). I saw the Edge CTS system and the ambient temp sensor that can be added to it to show the outside temp.

My truck is an FX4 without dual digital AC, so no temp or compass. Good thing i know directions, so no need for a compass. Just thinking out loud but do yall think it would be possible for H&S to make it possible to read the ambient air temp if I added on the stock ambient air temp sensor? Wouldnt it just pull the info it needed through the computer after seeing that the sensor is there? Or could it be manipulated by taking a different temp sensor with in the programming and splicing in the ambient air temp sensor? Just throwing out everything that I am thinking, maybe trying to start a "Thoughts Thread".

I can explain more if this makes no sense whatsoever to any of you.....

·
Registered
36 Posts
I don't know if any of that would work or not, but I'm with you, I would love to have that. I was really surprised when I realized the truck didn't have it. :(

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya, I even went back to the Dealership and asked why a $53,000 truck doesnt at least have a outside temp reading. I would really love to be able to have it. I have also seriously thought about the guy that makes overhead consoles for temp and compass and mileage. He takes a 06-07 overhead console, I believe, and makes a kit where it can replace the overhead console in our truck and allow you to get temps and such. He wants about $300-400 though, so a little steep.....

·
Registered
36 Posts
That would be great, heck I don't have one of those either! Lol... I think I'm lucky to have power windows. :) I have an XLT so it's pretty stripped down. But I still love it!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm not real certain here, but as I'm having issues I have been running down the wiring and such and I don't believe the ambient air temp sensor goes through the main engine computer but only through the electronic a/c computer. So I don't think it is something a tuner could easily add. I think the only way to do it would be to add a sensor and something to monitor that. Temp sensors are very easy circuits and I haven't looked but would bet there is some cheap little display you could get to display a universal type temperature sensor.

Found some universal type gauges on Ebay....would be a cheap solution to it....

·
Administrator
30,444 Posts
06-07 has outside temp on the HVAC control i think the earlier years were on the console ?

heck harbor freight has a inside outside digital temp gauge

or what about displaying Intake air tempPID on the CTS ? or is that to far off ? I don't remember comparing them

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just have an H&S tuner, no CTS. I was just using it as a something I have seen that can have this. I had no clue if it was possible for something like this to be done, but apparently not since yall are saying the sensor isnt run through the computer.....

·
Registered
853 Posts
If you have the H&S with the extra pyro, you could probably plug that thermocouple in and just hang it under the truck somewhere (along the frame) :dunno: to read outside air temp.
I have it so I might give it a try. I'll let you know if I do.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I saw an auto dimming mirror that has a compass and temp display on Amazon, might be an option if you have a plain mirror.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you have the H&S with the extra pyro, you could probably plug that thermocouple in and just hang it under the truck somewhere (along the frame) :dunno: to read outside air temp.
I have it so I might give it a try. I'll let you know if I do.
Arent those accurate to like +/- 50 degrees?!? Im not completely sure, but I dont think that would work. I do have the pyro kit that came with my Black Maxx, so if it does work, let me know.

I saw an auto dimming mirror that has a compass and temp display on Amazon, might be an option if you have a plain mirror.
I need to keep my rear view mirror because it has the microphones for the SYNC system in it.

Its like ford said "You wont have a way to put in an outside temperature reading no matter how hard you try!"

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, so another idea I just came across....I was going over the air intake PDF on H&S website and noticed the air intake temp sensor and this is a gauge that can be monitored on the tuner. Can an ambient air temp sensor be spliced in place of the air intake temp sensor to read the temp from the tuner?

Mount the full ambient air sensor and bracket and what not, run the sensor wiring to the intake air sensor, splice in to that wiring (thus eliminating the intake air temp). Then BAM! outside temp on your tuner?!?

Or is the intake air temperature a vital piece of information in the computer, controlling fuel flow and mapping?

Still thinking outside the box here......

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Hell just stick your head out the window.....

Sent with my mind using ESP.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts