Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't get me wrong, I love my Spartan, especially the Warhammer. But I personally feel like we are getting the run-a-round on the issue of EGT, speedometer calibration, and boost readability! About 4 months ago they told me to call every couple of weeks and keep checking, but I keep getting the same answer. Anyone else feel the same way, or is there something I am not aware of yet?

·
Registered
566 Posts
I can't help much cuz I have a mini maxx but you spartan guys haven't been able to monitor egt and boost? How is your trans shifting? I'm not real satisfied with the way mine shifts now.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I love everything else about the Spartan. To me, the tranny seems to shift a little too firm when easing around town at idle, but only from 1st to 2nd. Feels like the old Turbo 350's with shift kits. But when you lay your foot into it, the shifting is much better. And no, we cant monitor EGT's or boost, or recalibrate our speedometers for oversized tires. I have been told several times that it is a DashDaq issue and not a Spartan issue, but the way I see it, since Spartan uses DashDaq and it doesnt work, then it is coincidently a Spartan issue as well! Tired of getting the same answer "We are working on it". Starting to get slightly monotonous. If it wasnt for everything else seeming to be great, I would definitely be selling my Spartan and swapping to a competitor. Still debating doing just that anyway!

·
Registered
566 Posts
We monitor egt from a EGR block off plate and we can read boost. As of right now we can only recalibrate the speedometer up to "34 tall tires. H&S tried higher but the computer threw a couple codes when they go higher. They said they are working on the issue now.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Certified I know this is off topic but what size lift and tires are on your truck? My dads got a 450 pickup he was thinking about lifting a little bit. Thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just have the Superlift 4" 4-link kit and 35's. I was running the 35's before I got the lift tho with no clearance issues.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

·
Registered
566 Posts
Okay thanks bud. Your truck looks good btw.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
No egt or boost readouts?! Wonder what the diff is between the 6.4 and 6.7?

And yeah, still waiting on the tire size calibration...would be realllll nice!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The boost doesn't bother me so much because of the on-dash gauge. but I'm going to have to purchase an Autometer pyro, a probe kit, new adapter for the block off plate, and a mounting pod for the manual gauge. and all this on top of a Spartan that I have right at $2K invested in!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
Certified...I can help you get your boost gauge reading to work on your DD. This is what I did on mine....I'm with you on the EGT concerns....I've thought about purchasing another factory EGT probe and extending the wires to plug into one of the plugs under the truck and see if that signal would work. But back to the boost gauge....you need to install the rescale signal calculator from the DD update tool.....you may have done this when you first got the unit, Spartan has instructions on their website under FAQ - Tech Support on how to update the DD for the 6.7. Follow these instructions and select everything that is listed on the Spartan FAQ and the RESCALE SIGNAL CALCULATOR...it is toward the top of the list. Once updated, from gauge screen select exit...select setup...select devices....select manager.....You'll see:

a- Generic OBD2 (on J1962)
b-
c-
d-
e-
etc....

Select "b-" & then select "Add Device".

Scroll right or left until you see "ECU", select "Ford UDS", & then select "Install".

From the "Port To Use" screen, select "J1962", then select "OK".

When you see "Device Added Successfully", select "OK".

Next:

Select "c-" & then select "Add Device".

Scroll right or left until you see Rescale Signal Calculator, select, & then select "Install".

Make sure you select find signals again....next select parameters....scroll right or left until you find the calculator and select to setup. Once in setup....set input signal from "FORD UDS" as Manifold Absolute Pressure...set multiplier signal as "Constant Multiplier from Rescale Signal Calculator"....set multiplier sign at "1"....set constant multiplier at "12.31".....set offset signal as "Constant Offset from Rescale Signal Calculator"....set constant offset at "barameteric pressure-1.044 value"....set offset sign at "-1"....remaining options are personal preference...naming the signal...amount of places read after decimal.

Constant offset value example: (barameteric pressure-1.044)...I'm at 1100ft so my barameteric pressure is 14.2 hence (14.2-1.044=13.156)...I rounded to 13.16. This calculation is just about dead on.

In the gauge menu, make sure to select the calculated value for your gauge reading.

Hopefully this helps anyone who is wanting to setup a BOOST gauge on their DD.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I installed that update when I put the gps on my dashdaq. but that is a whole helluva lotta stuff to do! Lol. about the egt..... I have emailing back and forth with alligator performance throughout the weekend about getting what I need to hook up the autometer pyro. giving up on spartan. have loved it up till now, but not sure if I'll go back to them after this fiasco.

When in doubt, mash on it....and don't stop till you smell sh!t or hear glass break!

·
Registered
331 Posts
It's not Spartan or DashDaq that is causing the problem reading the EGTs it is the fact that the coding in the ECU isn't scaled correctly so it reads insanely off with a Spartan. **** @ Spartan is working diligently on reconciling the issue and will have an update out as soon as it is up to his standards.

Keep your faith in Spartan, I have used their products in the past, as well as currently using one on my 6.7.... **** is a perfectionist, and while it makes things a little slower to hit production, it prevents failures.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Or Cobrat you just could of bought an H&S instead of searching and learning how to display a super simple PID

Just sayin ;)

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I think he had a H&S and switched to Spartan.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know **** will make sure its done right. thats why I waited so long for the release of the Spartan. all I'm asking for is for some other answer besides "we are working on it", if you know what I mean.

When in doubt, mash on it....and don't stop till you smell sh!t or hear glass break!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Or Cobrat you just could of bought an H&S instead of searching and learning how to display a super simple PID

Just sayin ;)
HAHA.....funny you should say that......I had H&S....that is why I now have Spartan. Not that it is a bad product, but their trans tuning absolutely sucked on MY truck. I know others have had the same issues I had and others haven't, but once I switched to Spartan my tranny issues have disappeared. To each is own.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts